Low Yen Ling
|Low Yen Ling
|Member of the Singapore Parliament
for Chua Chu Kang Group Representation Constituency
|Parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of Social and Family Development|
1 Oct 2013
|Parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth|
1 May 2014
|Political party||People's Action Party|
Low Yen Ling (born 17 August 1974; simplified Chinese: 刘燕玲; traditional Chinese: 劉燕玲; pinyin: Liú Yànlíng) is a politician from Singapore. She is the Parliamentary Secretary for the Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) as of October 2013. A member of the governing People's Action Party (PAP), she is the Member of Parliament (MP) for Bukit Gombak division of the Chua Chu Kang Group Representation Constituency. She entered politics in 2011.
Low handled commercial lending accounts at Keppel Tat-Lee Bank and subsequently United Overseas Bank from 1996 to 2000 and was a business development manager with a start-up AutoHub Pte Ltd that reportedly failed. She then joined the Economic Development Board (EDB) in 2001 and was the Director in charge of developing the Professional Services sector. During her tenure, she pioneered the new Singapore Welcome Centre for Corporates to draw Asian enterprises as well as global mid-sized companies to Singapore and also spearheaded the Global Entrepolis@Singapore, a networking event for enterprises.
Low was reported to be joining the Chua Chu Kang GRC slate for the PAP in April 2011 when she resigned from the EDB and participated in a PAP Community Foundation event. She was formally introduced as a candidate on 4 Apr 2011.
The PAP team for Chua Chu Kang GRC led by Gan Kim Yong defeated a team from the National Solidarity Party (NSP) by 61.2% to 38.8% in May 2011. Subsequently, Low took over the Bukit Gombak division from retiring MP Ang Mong Seng.
In Jun 2011, Low was appointed as the third CEO of Business China, a non-profit organisation set up in November 2007 to strengthen bilateral ties between Singapore and China and to develop a cultural and economic bridge linking the world and China.
Low graduated from Nanyang Technological University (NTU) with a Bachelor of Business Studies (Second Upper Honours) majoring in Financial Analysis. She is an alumna of Temasek Junior College and Dunman High School. She is married with two sons and engages in sports like running and playing table tennis. She is a Christian.
- "Parliamentary Secretary, Ms Low Yen Ling". Ministry of Social and Family Development. Retrieved 13 Nov 2013.
- "Low Yen Ling's failed start-up". RazorTV/AsiaOne. 5 Apr 2011. Retrieved 12 Feb 2012.
- "Two new PAP faces likely at Chua Chu Kang GRC". Straits Times. 2 Apr 2011. Retrieved 12 Feb 2012.
- "3 more new PAP candidates introduced". AsiaOne. 4 Apr 2011. Retrieved 12 Feb 2012.
- "Armed and ready for battle". my paper/AsiaOne. 5 Apr 2011. Retrieved 12 Feb 2012.
- "2011 Parliamentary Election Results". Singapore Elections Department.
- "Business China appoints new Chief Executive Officer". Business China. 1 Jun 2011. Retrieved 12 Feb 2012.
- "Business China appoints MP Low Yen Ling as new CEO". Channel NewsAsia. 1 Jun 2011. Retrieved 12 Feb 2012.