Lowell (MBTA station)
|Location||101 Thorndike Street
Lowell, MA 01852
|Owned by||Lowell Regional Transit Authority|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Connections||Lowell Regional Transit Authority
Merrimack Valley Regional Transit Authority
Peter Pan Bus Lines
|Parking||695 spaces, $5.00 / daily, $50 / monthly
7 accessible spaces
|Bicycle facilities||18 spaces|
|Passengers (2008)||1,398 weekday avg.|
Lowell is a rail station on the MBTA Commuter Rail system in Lowell, Massachusetts. The station forms part of the Charles A. Gallagher Transit Terminal, which also incorporates the Robert B. Kennedy Bus Transfer Center, named for local politician Robert B. Kennedy.
Terminal and services
Lowell station is located at the Charles A. Gallagher Transit Terminal (aka Gallagher Transit Terminal, or simply Gallagher Station to many locals), an intermodal transit center, at 101 Thorndike Street(MA 3A) at the edge of Downtown Lowell. The station is the northern terminus of the MBTA Lowell Line providing train service to and from Boston. The Kennedy Bus Transfer Center is also located at the terminal for local and long bus service.
The Lowell Regional Transit Authority (LRTA) operates local bus service based at the Kennedy Center. Peter Pan Bus Lines provides intercity bus service, with one round trip per day on its Concord, New Hampshire - Foxwoods Casino line, with connections in Worcester to other routes.
Passengers access the train platform from the lobby by way of a bridge over the tracks.
The Charles A. Gallagher Transit Terminal opened in 1983. Previously, this area had held a depot for the Boston and Lowell Railroad. To the east, Lowell had also been the location of a former Lowell and Andover Railroad, built by the Boston and Maine Railroad, station on Central and Green Streets known as Central Street Station, which is no longer in use. In 2005, the Robert B. Kennedy Bus Transfer Center opened at the Gallagher Terminal as a new hub for all LRTA bus routes.
- American Textile History Museum
- LeLacheur Park
- Lowell National Historical Park
- Tsongas Arena
- University of Massachusetts Lowell
- All scheduled LRTA buses, including shuttle service to downtown Lowell
- MVRTA Route 41 to Lawrence
- Peter Pan Bus Lines
- Sunshine Travel bus to Mohegan Sun
- Urban Land Institute (2003-11-14). "Lowell Massachusetts Strategies for Redevelopment and Revitalization" (PDF). City of Lowell. p. 18. Retrieved 2007-10-02.
- "Ridership and Service Statistics" (PDF). MBTA. 2009. Retrieved 2011-02-01.
- "First Transit (LRTA contracted manager)". Archived from the original on 2007-11-05. Retrieved 2007-10-02.
- "Terminal Listings". Peter Pan Bus Lines. Retrieved 2007-10-02.
- "Schedules Effective Sept 4th, 2007". Vermont Transit Lines. Retrieved 2007-10-02.
- "Greater Lowell Ticket Sales". Retrieved 2007-11-11.
- Existing Railroad Stations in Middlesex County, Massachusetts