Lower Allen Township, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
|Lower Allen Township, Pennsylvania|
Etters Bridge, spanning Yellow Beeches Creek
|Motto: "A Township of the First Class"|
Map of Cumberland County, Pennsylvania highlighting Lower Allen Township
Map of Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
|• Type||Board of Supervisors|
|• Total||10.3 sq mi (27 km2)|
|• Density||1,695.1/sq mi (654.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 10.3 square miles (26.7 km²), all of it land.
Unincorporated communities in the township:
As of the census of 2000, there were 17,437 people, 6,314 households, and 3,801 families residing in the township. The population density was 1,695.1 people per square mile (654.3/km²). There were 6,520 housing units at an average density of 633.8/sq mi (244.6/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 85.71% White, 10.83% African American, 0.13% Native American, 1.89% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.60% from other races, and 0.77% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.68% of the population.
There were 6,314 households out of which 23.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.2% were married couples living together, 7.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 39.8% were non-families. 34.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.14 and the average family size was 2.76.
In the township the population was spread out with 15.4% under the age of 18, 10.0% from 18 to 24, 33.5% from 25 to 44, 21.5% from 45 to 64, and 19.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 127.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 131.6 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $46,172, and the median income for a family was $57,973. Males had a median income of $38,013 versus $29,798 for females. The per capita income for the township was $24,735. About 4.5% of families and 6.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.9% of those under age 18 and 4.8% of those age 65 or over.
- "Lower Allen township, Pennsylvania." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on December 7, 2009.
- "Directions to SCI Camp Hill." Pennsylvania Department of Corrections. Retrieved on December 7, 2009.
- "Welcome to the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections." Pennsylvania Department of Corrections. Retrieved on December 7, 2009. "2520 Lisburn Road, P.O. Box 598, Camp Hill, PA 17001-0598"
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.