|Born||Luca Andrea Cardelli
Montecatini Terme, Italy
Digital Equipment Corporation
University of Edinburgh
|Alma mater||University of Pisa
University of Edinburgh
|Thesis||An algebraic approach to hardware description and verification (1982)|
|Doctoral advisor||Gordon Plotkin|
|Doctoral students||Alexander Summers|
|Known for||Theory of Objects with Martín Abadi|
|Notable awards||Fellow of the Royal Society (2005)
Dahl-Nygaard Prize (2007)
Fellow of the ACM
Luca Andrea Cardelli FRS is an Italian computer scientist who is an Assistant Director at Microsoft Research in Cambridge, UK. Cardelli is well known for his research in type theory and operational semantics. Among other contributions, he helped design Modula-3, implemented the first compiler for the (non-pure) functional programming language ML, and defined the concept of typeful programming. He helped develop the Polyphonic C# experimental programming language.
He was born in Montecatini Terme, Italy. He attended the University of Pisa before receiving his PhD from the University of Edinburgh in 1982. Before joining Microsoft Research in 1997, he worked for Bell Labs and Digital Equipment Corporation.
In 2004 he was inducted as a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society. In 2007, Cardelli was awarded the Senior AITO Ole-Johan Dahl and Kristen Nygaard prize.
- "CARDELLI, Luca". Who's Who 2013, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2013; online edn, Oxford University Press.(subscription required)
- Luca Cardelli at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Cardelli, Luca; Abadi, Martín (1996). A theory of objects. Berlin: Springer. ISBN 0-387-94775-2.
- Dalchau, N.; Phillips, A.; Goldstein, L. D.; Howarth, M.; Cardelli, L.; Emmott, S.; Elliott, T.; Werner, J. M. (2011). Chakraborty, Arup K, ed. "A Peptide Filtering Relation Quantifies MHC Class I Peptide Optimization". PLoS Computational Biology 7 (10): e1002144. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1002144. PMC 3195949. PMID 22022238.
- Cardelli, L. (1996). "Bad engineering properties of object-orient languages". ACM Computing Surveys 28 (4es): 150. doi:10.1145/242224.242415.
- Cardelli, Luca; Wegner, Peter (December 1985). "On understanding types, data abstraction, and polymorphism". ACM Computing Surveys (New York, NY, USA: ACM) 17 (4): 471–523. doi:10.1145/6041.6042. ISSN 0360-0300.
- Luca Cardelli from the ACM Portal
- List of publications from the DBLP Bibliography Server
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic Search
- Luca Cardelli from the Scopus bibliographic database.
- Abadi, M.; Cardelli, L.; Curien, P. L.; Levy, J. J. (1990). "Proceedings of the 17th ACM SIGPLAN-SIGACT symposium on Principles of programming languages - POPL '90". p. 31. doi:10.1145/96709.96712. ISBN 0897913434.
- Cardelli, Luca (1982). An algebraic approach to hardware description and verification (PhD thesis). University of Edinburgh.
- The AITO Dahl-Nygaard Prize Winners for 2007
|P ≟ NP||This biographical article relating to a computer scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|