Lucas County, Iowa
|Lucas County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Iowa's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Robert Lucas|
|• Total||434.17 sq mi (1,124 km2)|
|• Land||430.55 sq mi (1,115 km2)|
|• Water||3.63 sq mi (9 km2), 0.84%|
|• Density||21/sq mi (8/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 434.17 square miles (1,124.5 km2), of which 430.55 square miles (1,115.1 km2) (or 99.17%) is land and 3.63 square miles (9.4 km2) (or 0.84%) is water.
- Warren County (northwest)
- Marion County (northeast)
- Monroe County (east)
- Wayne County (south)
- Clarke County (west)
The 2010 census recorded a population of 8,898 in the county, with a population density of 20.6666/sq mi (7.9794/km2). There were 4,238 housing units, of which 3,689 were occupied.
As of the census of 2000, there were 9,422 people, 3,811 households, and 2,560 families residing in the county. The population density was 22 people per square mile (8/km²). There were 4,239 housing units at an average density of 10 per square mile (4/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 98.44% White, 0.13% Black or African American, 0.11% Native American, 0.30% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.37% from other races, and 0.65% from two or more races. 0.87% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 3,811 households out of which 28.30% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.70% were married couples living together, 7.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.80% were non-families. 28.70% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.60% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.40% under the age of 18, 7.30% from 18 to 24, 24.60% from 25 to 44, 23.40% from 45 to 64, and 19.30% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 94.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.10 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $30,876, and the median income for a family was $38,352. Males had a median income of $31,243 versus $21,293 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,341. About 8.40% of families and 13.70% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.10% of those under age 18 and 9.60% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
- Otter Creek
- Lucas County is well known for its baseball program. As recently as 2009, Lucas County's Babe Ruth All-star teams have made it to, or past, the Iowa State Tournament. They have won 5 Babe Ruth State Titles, with the most recent coming in 2008. They have not, however, won any national titles.
- John L. Lewis, labor leader
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Lucas County, Iowa
- Lucas County Courthouse
- Red Haw State Park
- "Population & Housing Occupancy Status 2010". United States Census Bureau American FactFinder. Retrieved May 20, 2011.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- Lucas County
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved August 3, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Census.gov. Retrieved August 3, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lucas County, Iowa.|
||Warren County||Marion County|
|Clarke County||Monroe County|