|• Total||3.8 sq mi (9.9 km2)|
|• Land||3.8 sq mi (9.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||299 ft (90 m)|
|• Density||646.2/sq mi (249.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0672944|
Lucedale (pronounced LOOSE-dale)[needs IPA] is a city in George County, Mississippi. It is part of the Pascagoula, Mississippi Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 2,923 at the 2010 census.[dead link] It is the county seat of George County.
Lucedale is located at .(30.919824, -88.591669)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.8 square miles (9.8 km2), all of it land.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (August 2013)|
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,458 people, 916 households, and 628 families residing in the city. The population density was 646.2 people per square mile (249.7/km²). There were 1,052 housing units at an average density of 276.6 per square mile (106.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 69.45% White, 29.21% African American, 0.20% Native American, 0.73% Asian, 0.12% from other races, and 0.28% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.37% of the population.
There were 916 households out of which 31.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.0% were married couples living together, 20.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.4% were non-families. 29.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 3.01.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.9% under the age of 18, 10.1% from 18 to 24, 24.8% from 25 to 44, 20.1% from 45 to 64, and 18.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 94.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $22,604, and the median income for a family was $29,338. Males had a median income of $27,386 versus $18,313 for females. The per capita income for the city was $12,151. About 23.9% of families and 26.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 40.3% of those under age 18 and 19.1% of those age 65 or over.
Culture and contemporary life
|This section requires expansion. (August 2013)|
The City of Lucedale is served by the George County School District. As of 2010, the District spends US$6,732 per pupil—63% on instruction, 30% on support services, and 7% on other elementary and secondary expenditures—and 15 students existed for every full-time equivalent teacher.
The City of Lucedale and George County are served by the George Regional Health Facilities. Formerly known as the George County Hospital, the current George Regional Hospital serves George, Green, Stone and Jackson counties, as well as western Mobile County in Alabama. In addition to a nursing home, the hospital operates the Community Medical Center, an affiliated primary care facility. Surgical services are provided by the Community Surgical Center.
In April 2013, a US$4.5 million extension for the George Regional Hospital was commenced. The project will add acute care space to George Regional Hospital, expand George Regional Health & Rehab Center to 60 beds, and will add 24 larger, private rooms to the nursing home. A February 2014 completion date is expected.
- Ruthie Bolton: Former basketball player in the WNBA and at the Olympic Games
- Eric Moulds: Former wide receiver for the Buffalo Bills in the NFL
- Claude Passeau: Major League Baseball pitcher
- Carolyn Haines: Author, also credited as Caroline Burnes
- http://2010.census.gov/2010census/popmap/[dead link]
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Praise in the Park 2012". Standing Together. StandingTogether.com. 2012. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "George County School District". Education.com. Education.com, Inc. 2006–2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- April M. Havens (10 August 2013). "George County hospital, nursing home expansion on track for February completion". The MIssissippi Press. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "About Ruthie Bolton-Holifield Memorabilia". SportsMemorabilia.com. SportsMemorabilia.com, LLC. 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- Creg Stephenson (15 October 2010). "Lucedale's Moulds named SEC football "legend"". The Mississippi Times. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- Richard Goldstein (2 September 2003). "Claude Passeau, 94, A Standout Pitcher For the 1945 Cubs". The New York Times. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- Nancy Jacobs (20 January 2010). "MISSISSIPPI WRITERS: Carolyn Haines". Mississippi Writers & Musicians. Nancy Jacobs. Retrieved 11 August 2013.