Lucero - Live in Concert
|Labels||Universal Music Group (2008 - 2010)
Liberty & Lament
Soul is Cheap
Thick Syrup Records
MapleMusic Recordings (Canada)
|Associated acts||A Town Too Small
Lucky Old Son
The Paper Hearts
The Simple Ones
The Honorary Title
The Hold Steady
John C. Stubblefield
|Past members||Shane Callaway
Lucero had their start in Memphis, TN and played for the first time in early 1998. Since 2001, they have played between 150 and 200 shows a year across the United States and Canada and have been called "one of the hardest working bands of the last 10 years—on tour significantly more days than they are not." Lucero has released eight full length albums.
The members of Lucero are Ben Nichols (guitar and vocals), Roy Berry (drums), John C. Stubblefield (bass), Brian Venable (guitar), and Rick Steff (piano, organ, accordion). Todd Gill substituted for Brian Venable from 2003 to 2004. The band also experimented with guitarist Steve Selvidge in the early months of 2003.
In late 2008, the band announced they had signed a four album deal with Universal Music Group, though the relationship with Universal was short-lived. 1372 Overton Park was released October 6, 2009 by Universal Music Group and was the first Lucero album to feature a horn section.
Lucero's latest album, Women & Work, was released on March 13, 2012 by ATO Records. This new album integrates more of the horn section as well as the pedal steel guitar, keyboards and a gospel chorus.
The first solo release from frontman Ben Nichols, The Last Pale Light in the West, was released in January 2009 on Lucero's label Liberty & Lament. On November 17, 2013 the title song was featured in the episode "Live Bait" of the AMC series The Walking Dead. The seven-song record was inspired by Cormac McCarthy's book Blood Meridian and recorded with Rick Steff on piano and accordion and Todd Beane on pedal steel.
In May 2009, Nichols co-starred in MTV's $5 Cover, a Craig Brewer-produced, quasi-fictionalized series about the Memphis music scene. A performance of Lucero's song "San Francisco" at the Young Avenue Deli in Memphis was featured in the trailer for the series.
John C. Stubblefield has recorded with North Mississippi Allstars, Jim Dickinson and Sack Lunch, among others. He co-produced Hill Country Revue’s 2010 album Zebra Ranch.
Rick Steff has recorded with Cat Power, Hank Williams Jr. and Dexys Midnight Runners, among others.
Todd Beene is also currently a member of the Tennessee band Glossary.
- Self-titled Demo (1998)
- "My Best Girl", Landmark Records (2000)
- "Loggia Split", Soul is Cheap (2004)
- "Smoke", Universal (2009)
- "Mom", Universal (2009)
- The Attic Tapes - self-released (2000)
- Lucero - Madjack Records (2001)
- Tennessee - Madjack Records (2002)
- That Much Further West - Tiger Style Records (2003)
- Nobody's Darlings - Liberty & Lament (2005)
- Dreaming In America - Liberty & Lament (2005)
- The Attic Tapes (reissue) - Liberty & Lament (2006)
- Rebels, Rogues & Sworn Brothers - Liberty & Lament (2006)
- 1372 Overton Park - Universal Records / Republic Records (2009)
- Women & Work - ATO Records / Loose Music (2012)
- Texas & Tennessee - (2013)
- Lucero: Live From Atlanta - (2014)
Mud (2012 film) soundtrack
Lucero contributed two tracks, "Everything You Need" and "Take You Away", to the 2012 film Mud, which was written and directed by Ben Nichols' brother Jeff Nichols. Ben Nichols contributed three additional tracks, "Davy Brown", "The Kid" and "Snakebite" to the soundtrack.
- Ryan, Kyle (2012-03-13). "Lucero: Women & Work | Music | MusicalWork Review". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "Album Review: Lucero – Women & Work « Consequence of Sound". Consequenceofsound.net. 2012-03-20. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "Lucero | Music Biography, Credits and Discography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- Horton, Becca. "Lucero Goes Major, | Has Picnic | Music | Memphis News and Events". Memphis Flyer. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- Jac Chebatoris (2012-03-21). "Rocking Memphis-style - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "Lucero's 'Women & Work' Recalls Scaggs and Seger | The Short List - WSJ.com". Online.wsj.com. 2012-03-15. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "About | Lucero". Luceromusic.com. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "The Last Pale Light In The West: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "$5 Cover Amplified". 5dollarcoveramplified.com. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "Red 40 – Free listening, concerts, stats, & pictures at". Last.fm. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "Guest Post: Overjoid (Roy, Lucero’S Drummers’S, Side Project)". ninebullets.net. 2009-02-11. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "Worth the Weight: The Simple Ones: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- John C. Stubblefield. "John C. Stubblefield | Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "ABOUT | Glossary". Glossary.us. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "IMDB Mud 2012 Soundtrack". Retrieved 06-01-2014.