Lucia Mar Unified School District
The Lucia Mar Unified School District is the largest school district in San Luis Obispo County, with about 10,900 students. It covers 550 square miles (1,400 km2) at the southern end of the county, from Shell Beach (at the north end of Pismo Beach) to the county line at the Santa Maria River. This territory encompasses the communities of Shell Beach, Pismo Beach, Grover Beach, Arroyo Grande, Oceano, Halcyon, and Nipomo.
The district has been busy with growth and new construction. Two brand new schools have been built in Nipomo: Nipomo High School in 2002, and Dorothea Lange Elementary in 2006. A few years earlier, the Lopez continuation high school moved to a brand new campus on the Nipomo Mesa. And Arroyo Grande High School is undergoing a major renovation with new buildings and facilities, including a new pool, tennis courts and multi-purpose room. The 'Clark Center For The Performing Arts' opened on the Arroyo Grande High School campus in 2002. It is used by all the schools in the district. A new gym was built for Mesa Middle School and a multi-purpose room with covered eating area was constructed at Paulding Middle School. All of this activity could not have happened without support from the community. Local voters passed bond measures to fund new schools and the AGHS renovation, and fund raisers to build the Clark Center were successful.
Lucia Mar is proud of the quality of its schools and educational programs. Its stated goal: "The mission of the Lucia Mar Unified School District is to ensure that all students acquire the knowledge, skills and attitudes essential to become productive members of society."
- Arroyo Grande High School
- Lopez High School
- Nipomo High School
- Central Coast New Technology High School
- Judkins Middle School
- Mesa Middle School
- Paulding Middle School
- Branch Elementary School, K-6, California Distinguished School
- Dana Elementary School, K-6
- Dorothea Lange Elementary School, K-6
- Grover Beach Elementary School, K-6
- Grover Heights Elementary School, K-6
- Harloe Elementary School, K-6, opened September 1955, California Distinguished School
- Nipomo Elementary, K-6
- Fairgrove Elementary School, K-6, California Distinguished School
- Ocean View Elementary School, K-6, California Distinguished School and National Blue Ribbon School
- Oceano Elementary School, K-6
- Shell Beach Elementary School, K-6