Luciano Moše Prelević
|Rabbi Luciano Moše Prelević|
|Synagogue||Jewish community Zagreb Synagogue|
|Predecessor||Rabbi Zvi Eliezer Alonie|
|Other||Chief rabbi of the Montenegro Jewish community (2013–present)|
|Born||1953 (age 61–62)
Zagreb, SFR Yugoslavia, (now Croatia)
|Alma mater||Shehebar Sephardic Rabbinical College Jerusalem|
Early life and family
From his mother's side of the family he is a descent of the Split Jewish family Levi. His great-grandfather, Mojsije Levi, was a rabbi in Split in the early 20th century. He came to Split from the island of Corfu, Greece, where he married a daughter of Marijo Goldstein, one of the most popular Split photographers, who arrived in Split from Poland. Prelević spent his youth in Split. He studied architecture in Split and Zagreb.
Prelevic worked at the Croatian oil and gas company INA. His cousin brought him in the Jewish community of Zagreb and there he became interested in Judaism. In the Jewish community of Zagreb Prelević intensified his religious life and devoted himself to the study of Torah. Prelević read English literature translated from Hebrew, and as he wanted to read the originals, he started to learn Hebrew. In 1999 Kotel Da-Don, another Croatian rabbi, offered him to go for one year in Jerusalem, to learn for a teacher and then return to Zagreb. After that he decided to become a rabbi. The Jewish community of Zagreb supported him with a scholarship. In rabbinical college, Yeshiva, he spent eight years and graduated in 2007, as the best student of his class at the Ashkenazi Yeshiva. In the study the subjects that Prelević completed were Halakha and Jewish philosophy. He obtained the diploma of the rabbi from a rabbi of the Yeshiva. In 2008 he was commissioned into the service as a rabbi of the Jewish community in Zagreb. Prelević is the first Croatian born rabbi of the Jewish community in Zagreb since rabbi Miroslav Šalom Freiberger, who was killed in Auschwitz concentration camp. In 2013 Prelević was named chief rabbi of the Montenegro Jewish community.
- "Novi rabin ŽOZ". www.zoz.hr (in Croatian) (Židovska općina Zagreb).
- "Zagrebački rabin: Židovi podržavaju zdravstveni odgoj". www.tportal.hr (in Croatian) (T-Hrvatski Telekom).
- Željko Rogošić (23 March 2008). "Luciano Moše Prelević - tri života novog zagrebačkog rabina" [Luciano Moše Prelević - three lives of the new Zagreb rabbi] (in Croatian). Nacional. Archived from the original on 11 July 2012. Retrieved 11 July 2012.
- "Lucian Moše Prelević stupa na dužnost 1. siječnja 2008." [Lucian Moše Prelević assumes duty on 1 January 2008] (in Croatian). Nacional. Archived from the original on 11 July 2012. Retrieved 11 July 2012.
- "Novi rabin nema diplomu?" (in Croatian). Jutarnji list. 28 August 2008. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "Novi rabin u židovskoj zajednici Crne Gore" (in Croatian). CENDO (Istraživački i dokumentacijski centar). 2 January 2013. Retrieved 9 July 2013.