Lucky Old Sun
|Lucky Old Sun|
|Studio album by Kenny Chesney|
|Released||October 14, 2008|
|Label||Blue Chair, BNA|
|Kenny Chesney chronology|
|Singles from Lucky Old Sun|
|BBC Music||(mixed) |
|The Boston Globe||(positive) |
|Entertainment Weekly||B |
|Los Angeles Times|||
|The New York Times||(positive) |
Lucky Old Sun is the thirteenth studio album released by country music artist Kenny Chesney. It was released on October 14, 2008 (see 2008 in country music) as the first release for Blue Chair Records, Chesney's personal division of the BNA Records label. The album has produced two singles in "Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven" (a Number One on the Billboard country charts) and "Down the Road", collaborations with The Wailers and Mac McAnally, respectively.
The lead-off single, "Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven", was released on August 11, 2008 and in October it became a Number One hit on the Billboard country charts. Following it was "Down the Road", a duet with Mac McAnally which was previously a single for McAnally himself from his 1990 album Simple Life. This rendition has also reached Number One.
Two of this album's songs were previously recorded by Willie Nelson: "Ten with a Two" was previously a single in 1990 from his album Born for Trouble, and "I'm Alive" from his album Moment of Forever. "That Lucky Old Sun", recorded here as a duet with Nelson, is a cover of the 1949 pop standard made famous by Frankie Laine.
|1.||"I'm Alive" (duet with Dave Matthews)||Kenny Chesney, Dean Dillon, Mark Tamburino||3:19|
|2.||"Way Down Here"||Chesney, Casey Beathard, Tony Martin||5:52|
|3.||"Boats"||Chesney, Dillon, Scotty Emerick||4:36|
|4.||"Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven" (featuring The Wailers)||Jim Collins, Marty Dodson||4:13|
|5.||"Down the Road" (duet with Mac McAnally)||Mac McAnally||2:58|
|6.||"Spirit of a Storm"||Chesney, Brett James||3:36|
|7.||"Ten with a Two"||Jack Mack, Bill Nosworthy, Bo Roberts, Mack Vickery||3:11|
|8.||"The Life"||Beathard, James T. Slater||4:27|
|9.||"Key's in the Conch Shell"||Aaron Barker, Dillon, Emerick, Tom Gross||4:11|
|10.||"Nowhere to Go, Nowhere to Be"||Chesney||3:41|
|11.||"That Lucky Old Sun (Just Rolls Around Heaven All Day)" (duet with Willie Nelson)||Beasley Smith, Haven Gillespie||4:15|
|Deluxe Edition bonus tracks|
|12.||"Boston" (live)||Chesney, Tamburino||5:22|
|13.||"Got a Little Crazy" (live)||Chesney, Chris Wallin||4:58|
|14.||"Soul of a Sailor" (live)||Chesney, Dillon, Emerick||5:40|
|15.||"Guitars and Tiki Bars" (live)||Chesney, Dillon, Tamburino||6:43|
As listed in liner notes
- Wyatt Beard - background vocals
- Pat Buchanan - electric guitar
- Buddy Cannon - background vocals
- Eric Darken - percussion
- Scott Ducaj - trumpet
- Chris Dunn - trombone
- Kenny Greenberg - electric guitar
- Robert Greenidge - steel drums
- Tim Hensley - background vocals
- Steve Herrman - trumpet
- Steve Hinson - steel guitar
- John Hobbs - piano, synthesizer, Wurlitzer electric piano
- Jim Horn - tenor saxophone
- Paul Leim - drums
- B. James Lowry - acoustic guitar
- Mac McAnally - acoustic guitar
- Randy McCormick - B3 organ, synthesizer
- Larry Paxton - bass guitar, gut string guitar
- Mickey Raphael - harmonica
- Gary Prim - piano, synthesizer, Wurlitzer
- John Willis - acoustic guitar, electric guitar, gut string guitar
- Lonnie Wilson - drums
Lucky Old Sun debuted at the top of the U.S. Billboard 200. It was also his fifth consecutive album to top the U.S. Top Country Albums chart. On July 2009 the album sold 720,000 copies in USA.
|Australian Albums Charts||108|
|U.S. Billboard Top Country Albums||1|
|U.S. Billboard 200||1|
|Canadian Albums Chart||10|
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions|
|2008||"Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven"
(featuring The Wailers)
|"Down the Road" (featuring Mac McAnally)||1||47||57|
Paper Trail by T.I.
|U.S. Billboard 200 number-one album
November 1, 2008
Black Ice by AC/DC
Greatest Hits 3 by Tim McGraw
|Top Country Albums number-one album
November 1, 2008 – November 8, 2008
That Don't Make Me a Bad Guy by Toby Keith
|United States (RIAA)||Gold|
- "Critic Reviews for Lucky Old Sun". Metacritic. Retrieved 2013-04-10.
- Sexton, Scott. "Kenny Chesney - 'Lucky Old Sun'". About.com. Retrieved 2013-04-10.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas (2008-10-21). "Lucky Old Sun - Kenny Chesney". Allmusic. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- Quinn, Michael (2008-11-12). "Review of Kenny Chesney - Lucky Old Sun". BBC Music. Retrieved 2013-04-10.
- Tucker, Ken. "Lucky Old Sun". Billboard. Archived from the original on 2008-10-12. Retrieved 2013-04-10.
- Reed, James (2008-10-27). "Kenny Chesney (Lucky Old Sun)". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2013-04-10.
- Chris Willman (2008-10-24). "Lucky Old Sun Review | Music Reviews and News". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- Randy Lewis (2008-10-15). "Chesney starts the healing". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2013-04-10.
- Jon Pareles (2008-10-19). "New CDs (Kenny Chesney: "Lucky Old Sun")". The New York Times. Retrieved 2013-04-10.
- Dave Heaton (2008-11-06). "Kenny Chesney: Lucky Old Sun". PopMatters. Retrieved 2013-04-10.
- Jonathan Keefe (2008-10-26). "Kenny Chesney: Lucky Old Sun | Music Review". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- Lucky Old Sun (Album notes). Blue Chair/BNA Records. 2008. 88697-36726-2.
- "Pandora Archive". Pandora.nla.gov.au. 2006-08-23. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- "American album certifications – Kenny Chesney – Lucky Old Sun". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH