21 April 1976 |
Sandycove, County Dublin, Ireland
|Occupation||Presenter of radio and television|
|Employer||Raidió Teilifís Éireann (RTÉ)|
|Known for||The Podge and Rodge Show
Livin' with Lucy
The Lucy Kennedy Show
The Colm and Lucy Show
|Height||5 foot 4 inches (163cm)|
Lucy Kennedy (Irish: Lusaí Ní Chinnéide; born April 21, 1976) is an Irish radio and television presenter. She currently co-hosts Late Lunch Live on TV3. She has been described as "one of Ireland's most familiar faces".
Kennedy rose to fame after spending time co-hosting The Podge and Rodge Show on RTÉ Two. She has also presented dating show The Ex-Files, the celebrity stalker Livin' with Lucy, her own chat show The Lucy Kennedy Show and the reality boxing show Charity Lords of the Ring. She has also undertaken some radio work, including The Colm and Lucy Show and Weekend Breakfast with Baz & Lucy, both on RTÉ 2fm.
Kennedy is a former air hostess.
Kennedy's first job was a career as a flight attendant with Cityjet, followed by a course in television presenting and production. In 2002, she worked as a contestant researcher for an Irish version of The Weakest Link. She later worked as production assistant on An Tuath Nua and production co-ordinator on A Scare at Bedtime. After briefly working in sales for Spin FM, she began presenting two series of The Ex-Files in 2004 and was approached to co-host The Podge and Rodge Show in February 2006. She described the duo as "like the older brothers I never had" but left the show after three series.
In 2007, Kennedy made numerous television appearances on other shows such as No Frontiers and People in Need Telethon, as well as winning the TV Now Award for Female Personality of the Year. She was named #1 hottest television star in an FM104 poll.
In April - May 2008, Kennedy starred in her own show, Livin' with Lucy, the premise of which she shared a house with celebrities such as Brian McFadden and Calum Best for a weekend. The show aired on RTÉ Two on Monday nights. During the show she was hunted by the paparazzi and subjected to vicious photography and googling when she stayed with British tabloid fodder Jade Goody. She encountered controversy whilst staying with Samantha Mumba when the singer launched a verbal attack on Irish radio presenter Dave Fanning, calling him a number of unprintable expletives.
Her chat show, The Lucy Kennedy Show, an inhouse RTÉ production, began on 6 January 2009. Her father John accompanied her as her pianist.
She co-presented Charity Lords of the Ring alongside Barry McGuigan in August 2009. After this she took time off work to concentrate on having the baby she was pregnant with. She hopes to return to work in February/March 2010.
She began filming the third series of Livin' with Lucy in July 2010.
Kennedy signed a deal with TV3 and will co-host a new daytime programme "Late Lunch Live" to rival RTÉ's "Today" alongside Weatherman Martin King. The Show replaces The Morning Show.
On 7 May 2010, it was announced she would co-present with Colm Hayes for one month the 9 am - 12 noon slot vacated by the death of Gerry Ryan. However, she was not given the job permanently stating that she did not have the necessary experience for it.
She does Weekend Breakfast with Baz & Lucy. This is a "less visible" role in the organisation that is RTÉ.
|2009||Lucy Kennedy||Favourite Female TV Presenter||Won|
- "TV star Lucy Kennedy becomes a mum". RTÉ. 11 November 2009. Retrieved 11 November 2009.
- Finn, Melanie (18 October 2011). "Baby No2 on the way for RTÉ star Lucy". Evening Herald. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- Nolan, Lorna (13 May 2010). "I don't want Gerry's job, I'm just too busy being a mum -- Lucy". Evening Herald (Independent News & Media). Retrieved 13 May 2010.
- Dwyer, Ciara. "Lucy Kennedy", Sunday Independent. 27 April 2008. Retrieved 27 April 2008.
- Bray, Allison (15 May 2007). "Top TV totty Lucy Kennedy gets last laugh". Irish Independent. Retrieved 19 October 2008.
- "Paparazzi Scare: Lucy Hunted by the press". Irish Independent. 9 April 2008. Retrieved 19 October 2008.
- Feehan, Conor (14 April 2008). "Not a Fann: Mumba takes a pop at DJ Dave on 'Livin' with Lucy'". Irish Independent. Retrieved 19 October 2008.
- "On the show archive". Today FM. Retrieved 24 October 2008.
- Nolan, Lorna (15 September 2008). "Filling Kathryn's shoes is a Frontier too far for glam newlywed Lucy". Irish Independent. Retrieved 19 October 2008.
- "RTÉ reveals Lords of the Ring line-up". RTÉ. 27 July 2009. Retrieved 27 July 2009.
- "Expectant mum Kennedy taking break". RTÉ. 9 September 2009. Retrieved 9 September 2009.
- "Colm and Lucy set for morning show". RTÉ. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Murphy, Claire (14 November 2011). "Did RTÉ splash out €428k to capture Colm and Jim-Jim?". Evening Herald. Retrieved 14 November 2011.
After Gerry Ryan died, Hayes teamed up with Lucy Kennedy for a temporary replacement programme.
- Murphy, Catherine (16 October 2011). "Female TV Presenters: There is only one Queen Bee". Sunday Independent. Retrieved 16 October 2011.
While Lucy Kennedy is less visible (she's currently presenting a 2fm radio show every Saturday and Sunday between 7 and 10am)...
- Butler, Laura (26 November 2011). "I don't know how Miriam copes with eight, says mum-to-be Lucy". Evening Herald. Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- "Lucy Kennedy expecting first child". RTÉ. 23 April 2009. Retrieved 23 April 2009.
- Murphy, Cormac (23 April 2009). "Pregnant Lucy prepares for her new role". Evening Herald. Retrieved 23 April 2009.