July 16, 1940 |
New York City, New York
|Residence||California, United States|
|Fields||Developmental biology; microbial genetics; bacterial cell biology|
|Alma mater||Brooklyn College; Albert Einstein College of Medicine|
|Known for||Identification of the molecular mechanisms of cell cycle regulation and asymmetric cell division, and characterization of the systems biology of bacterial development.|
|Notable awards||Selman A. Waksman Award in Microbiology (2005)
Gairdner Foundation International Award (2009)
National Medal of Science (2011)
Louisa Gross Horwitz Prize (2012)
Lucy Shapiro is an American developmental biologist. She is a professor of Developmental Biology at the Stanford University School of Medicine. She is the Ludwig Professor of Cancer Research and the director of the Beckman Center for Molecular and Genetic Medicine.
Dr. Shapiro has published a reflection on her early days in Brooklyn and on her life in science.
Lived in Brooklyn, NY, with her primary education in Brooklyn public schools. She attended the High School of Music and Arts (the precursor school to the Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts) with a major in Fine Arts.
- 1962 A.B. in Fine Arts and Biology, Brooklyn College.
- 1966 PhD in Molecular Biology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
- 1967-1986 Ass't Professor, Assoc. Professor, and Professor Albert Einstein College of Medicine, NYC.
- 1981-1986 Director, Div. of Biological Sciences, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, NYC.
- 1986-1989 Professor and Chairman Department of Microbiology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, NYC.
- 1989-1997 Founder and Chair Department of Developmental, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA.
- 1989- Professor, Department of Developmental Biology.
- 2001- Director of the Beckman Center for Molecular and Genetic Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine.
- 1993-2000 Director, Silicon Graphics, Inc.
- 1993-2000 Director, SmithKlineBeecham
- 2002 Founded Anacor Pharmaceuticals, Inc., an anti-infectives company located in Palo Alto, Ca. (With Dr. Stephen Benkovic, Penn State University, and Dr. Harley McAdams, Stanford University School of Medicine.)
- 2008-2012 Director, GenProbe, Inc.
- 2002- Director, Anacor Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- 2012- Director, Pacific BioSciences, Inc.
- "Biographical Sketch: Lucy Shapiro, Ph.D. - National Institute of General Medical Sciences". Nigms.nih.gov. 2011-12-27. Retrieved 2013-03-30.
- Stober, Dan (2013-02-01). "Obama presents the National Medal of Science to Stanford's Lucy Shapiro and Sidney Drell". News.stanford.edu. Retrieved 2013-03-30.
- Shapiro, L. (24 September 2012). "Life in a Three-dimensional Grid". Journal of Biological Chemistry 287 (45): 38289–38294. doi:10.1074/jbc.X112.422337.
- Video of Shapiro talking about her work, from the National Science & Technology Medals Foundation