William H. Luden created the Luden's brand in 1879. Early products included cough drops and candy. Luden gave samples of his cough drops to railroad workers, giving the product national exposure in an early example of guerrilla marketing.
Luden's was acquired in 1928 by Food Industries of Philadelphia, a holding company owned by the Dietrich family. In 1980 the company acquired Queen Anne Candy Co, based in Hammond, IN. During its heyday under Dietrich ownership Luden’s produced more than 500 varieties of candy in addition to its better-known cough drops and employed more than 1200.
Luden's Throat Drops brand was sold by Hershey's to Pharmacia in 2001. In 2003, Pharmacia was acquired by Pfizer. In 2006, Pfizer sold its consumer products division, including the Luden's line, to Johnson & Johnson.
As of 2008, packages of Luden's throat drops displayed the slogan "Trusted Luden's Care - Everyone needs a little TLC".
Luden's brand throat drops are demulcents (meaning a swelling or irritation reliever) and mild oral anesthetics. Fruit flavors' active ingredients are pectin, a soluble gelatinous polysaccharide found in ripe fruits. Pectin places a coating on the throat to reduce irritation and swelling. Original Menthol and the various Honey flavors contain menthol, an oral anesthetic and irritant reliever.
The drops' inactive ingredients include FD&C blue No. 1, FD&C blue 2, FD&C red 40, ascorbic acid, citric acid, malic acid, sodium acetate, sodium chloride, caramel color, corn syrup, flavors, sodium acetate, soybean oil used as a processing aid, sucrose, and water.
- "The Luden story". The Reading Eagle (newspaper). Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- "From Luden’s Mother’s Kitchen to the World". The Reading Eagle (newspaper). Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- "ZAPPA'S LUDEN'S COUGH DROPS". youtube.com. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- "TRUSTED LUDEN'S CARE". Legal Force Trademarkia. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- "Charlesbank Capital Partners Acquires Five Consumer Products From McNeil-PPC". Charlesbank Capital Partners, LLC. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- "Charlesbank Sells Blacksmith Brands to Prestige Brands". Bioscience Technology. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- "LUDENS ORIGINAL MENTHOL THROAT DROPS (menthol) lozenge LUDENS HONEY LICORICE THROAT DROPS (menthol) lozenge LUDENS HONEY LEMON THROAT DROPS (menthol) lozenge". Daily Med. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- "LUDENS WILD CHERRY THROAT DROPS (pectin) lozenge LUDENS BERRY ASSORTMENT THROAT DROPS (pectin) lozenge". Daily Med. Retrieved October 27, 2013.