John Bosco Asea Ozuma
|Elevation||3,950 ft (1,204 m)|
|Population (2014 Census)|
- This article is about the Ugandan town. For the Latvian settlement see Lugaži.
The town is situated in Buikwe District, on the Kampala-Jinja Highway, approximately 45 kilometres (28 mi) by road, east of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. Its location is approximately 23 kilometres (14 mi), by road, east of Mukono, the nearest large town, also on the highway between Kampala and Jinja. The average elevation of the Lugazi is about 1,204 metres (3,950 ft). The coordinates of Lugazi are:0°22'08.0"N, 32°56'25.0"E (Latitude:0.368889; Longitude:32.940278).
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within the town or close to its boundaries:
- The offices of Lugazi Town Council
- The headquarters of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Lugazi
- Lugazi Central Market
- The headquarters of the Mehta Group in Uganda
- Sugar Corporation of Uganda Limited (SCOUL) - a member of the Mehta Group
- Ugma Engineering Corporation Limited - a member of the Mehta Group
- Cable Corporation Limited - a member of the Mehta Group
- Uganda Hortech Limited - a member of the Mehta Group
- University of Military Science and Technology - A university owned and administered by the Uganda Ministry of Defence
- Mount Saint Mary's College Namagunga - located 5.5 kilometres (3.4 mi), by road, west of downtown Lugazi, in Mukono District
- Kawolo Hospital - A 200 bed public hospital, administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- Lugazi Golf Course - Located on the grounds of Sugar Corporation of Uganda Limited
- A branch of Barclays Bank
- A branch of Finance Trust Bank
- A branch of Stanbic Bank
- A branch of Pride Microfinance Limited
- A branch of the National Social Security Fund
- The Kampala-Jinja Highway - The highway passes through the center of town in an East to West direction.
The 2002 national census estimated the population of Lugazi at 27,979. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the population of the town at 34,500. In 2011, UBOS estimated the population of Lugazi at about 35,500. In 2014, the national population census put the population of Lugazi at 39,483
In 2012, a Little League baseball team from Lugazi qualified for the 2012 Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. This was the second ever team from Uganda to qualify and the first to make the trip to the USA. Lugazi is also the home of Uganda Revenue Authority SC, a member of the Uganda Premier Soccer League.
- Moses Odongo, and Sulaiman Matovu (3 August 2008). "Lugazi Residents Back Land Bill". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- Nalubwama, Jackie (29 October 2013). "Uganda: Who Owns Lugazi Town?". The Observer (Uganda) via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "UBOS, . (27 August 2014). "The Population of The Regions of the Republic of Uganda And All Cities And Towns of More Than 15,000 Inhabitants". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- "Road Distance Between Kampala And Lugazi With Interactive Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Map Showing Mukono And Lugazi With Interactive Route Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- Google, . "Location of Lugazi At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- UBOS, . (2011). "Estimated Population of Lugazi In 2002, 2010 & 2011" (PDF). Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- Communications Division, . (16 July 2012). "Lugazi Little League of Uganda Wins Regional Title, to be First African Team In Little League Baseball World Series". Little League Online. Retrieved 21 January 2015.