|Nickname(s): Eastern gate of Ukraine, dawn of Ukraine, Luhanshchyna, Luhan'|
|Established||June 3, 1938|
|• Governor||Valeriy Holenko (Party of Regions)|
|• Oblast council||? seats|
|• Chairperson||Vladimir Prystyuk (Party of Regions)|
|• Total||26,684 km2 (10,303 sq mi)|
|Population (September 1, 2013)|
|• Rank||Ranked 7th|
|• Official language(s)||Ukrainian, Russian|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|ISO 3166 code||UA-09|
|Cities of oblast subordinance||4|
Luhansk Oblast (Ukrainian: Луганська область, translit. Luhans’ka oblast’, Russian: Луганская область, translit. Luganskaya oblast; also referred to as Luhanshchyna – Ukrainian: Луганщина or locally as Luhan' (Лугань)) is the easternmost oblast (province) of Ukraine. Its administrative center is Luhansk. The oblast was established in 1938 and bore the name Voroshilovgrad Oblast (until 1958 and again 1970 to 1990) in honor of Kliment Voroshilov.
The Luhansk Oblast is located in eastern Ukraine. The area of the oblast' (26,700 km²), comprises about 4.42% of the total area of the country.
Its longitude from north to south is 250 km, from east to west – 190 km. The oblast' borders the Belgorod and Voronezh Oblast's of Russia on the north, the Rostov Oblast of Russia on the east, the Rostov Oblast on the south, and the Kharkiv and Donetsk Oblast's on the west.
The following data incorporates the number of each type of administrative divisions of the Luhansk Oblast:
- Administrative Center – 1 (Luhansk)
- Raions — 18;
- City raions — 4;
- Settlements — 975, including:
- Selsovets — 206.
The local administration of the oblast' is controlled by the Luhansk Oblast Rada. The governor of the oblast' is the Luhansk Oblast Rada speaker, appointed by the President of Ukraine.
The population is largely Russian-speaking although ethnic Ukrainians constitute a majority (58%). Among the minorities are native Russians (39%), Belarusians (0.8%), and others (1.4%). According to the 2001 Ukrainian Census more than 68.8% of the population consider themselves as Russian speakers, while Ukrainian speakers were only 30%.
Its population (as of 2004) of 2,461,506 million constitutes 5.13% of the overall Ukrainian population. The Luhansk Oblast rates fifth in Ukraine by the number of its inhabitants, having an average population density of 90.28 /km². About 87% of the population lives in urban areas, and the rest – 13%, reside in agricultural areas. According to the national census, 54.0% of the population are Ukrainians and 42% are Russians.
- 0-14 years: 12.3% (male 143,272/female 134,803)
- 15-64 years: 71.4% (male 768,544/female 838,639)
- 65 years and over: 16.3% (male 117,782/female 248,914) (2013 official)
- total: 42.1 years
- male: 38.2 years
- female: 45.9 years (2013 official)
On April 25, 2006, the Oblast's council voted to recognise Russian as a co-official language in the territory of Luhansk Oblast. However, such a decision may have no legal effect according to Ukraine's legislation.
The oblast belongs to the historical region of Donbas as well as to Sloboda Ukraine (Slobozhanshchina). Between 1753 and 1764, a territory of Imperial Russia named Slavo-Serbia existed in this area with administrative seat in Slovianoserbsk.
By the end of the 19th - in the beginning of the 20th cc., a unique tradition of icon-painting established in Luhansk region - the so-called "dressed icons". Like this they were called, because of covers made of velvet and other expensive textiles, with embroidery, beads and stones used as well. The icons had right blue background, the small details were painted thoroughly and with accuracy, the saints had big round eyes. The collection of Luhansk icons can be found in the exhibition and in stores of the Museum of Ukrainian Home Icons of the Radomysl Castle.
Points of interest
The following historic-cultural sites were nominated for the Seven Wonders of Ukraine.
- President appoints 14 regional governors, Interfax-Ukraine (March 18, 2010)
- (Russian) Владимир Николаевич ПРИСТЮК, Luhansk Oblast council
- "State Statistics Committee of Ukraine". Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- Богомолець. О. "Замок-музей Радомисль на Шляху Королів Via Regia". — Київ, 2013
- Official site of Luhansk Oblast Administration (Ukrainian)
- Information Card of the Region – official site of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine
- The Official Site of the Radomysl Castle