Luis Amaranto Perea
Perea playing for Atlético Madrid
|Full name||Luis Amaranto Perea Mosquera|
|Date of birth||30 January 1979|
|Place of birth||Turbo, Colombia|
|Height||1.81 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 1 July 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Luis Amaranto Perea Mosquera (born 30 January 1979) is a Colombian footballer who plays for Cruz Azul in Mexico. Gifted with incredible stamina and pace, the central defender can also be adapted at right back.
In June 2004 Perea signed for Atlético de Madrid on a four-year deal, as another centre-back, Pablo Ibáñez, also arrived that season. Both were the starters as the Colchoneros returned to the UEFA Champions League in 2008–09 after a 12-year absence, with Perea appearing in 30 league matches; after the campaign kicked off, he received his Spanish passport.
After the signing of ACF Fiorentina's Tomáš Ujfaluši for the 2008–09 season, Perea saw some additional time as a right defender, but eventually lost that place to another newly-signed, John Heitinga. From 2009 to 2011, with the latter departed to Everton, he managed to appear in 56 league games for the club combined, with qualification to the UEFA Europa League in his second season after a seventh-place finish.
On 29 September 2011, following a Europa League appearance against Stade Rennais FC, Perea became the foreign player with most official appearances for Atlético Madrid with 289, surpassing Argentine Jorge Griffa. He left the club at the end of 2011–12 at the age of 33, after having contributed with 34 games the league and the Europa League combined (19+15) as the club won the latter competition.
- Boca Juniors
- Atlético Madrid
- UEFA Europa League: 2009–10, 2011–12
- UEFA Super Cup: 2010
- UEFA Intertoto Cup: 2007
- Copa del Rey: Runner-up 2009–10
- Cruz Azul
- No hay peor astilla que la del mismo palo (Nothing worse than the apple who does not fall far from the tree); ESPN Deportes, 11 March 2004 (Spanish)
- Atlético sign defender Perea; UEFA.com, 11 June 2004
- Atlético allowed to register Cléber; UEFA.com, 2 August 2007
- Perea, el extranjero con más partidos (Perea, foreign with more games); UEFA.com, 29 September 2011 (Spanish)
- BDFutbol profile
- Luis Perea at National-Football-Teams.com
- Luis Perea – FIFA competition record
- Luis Perea Liga MX stats at Medio Tiempo.com (Spanish)
- Soccerway profile