Luis Moreno (footballer)
||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (March 2011)|
|Date of birth||19 March 1981|
|Place of birth||Panama City, Panama|
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Right back, centre back|
|2007||Independiente Santa Fe||15||(0)|
|2007||Tiburones de Coatzacoalcos|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 29 March 2011.
† Appearances (Goals).
Luis Moreno (born 19 March 1981) is a football defender who plays for Tauro. He gained notoriety after violently kicking an injured owl that had landed on the pitch during a league match between Junior de Barranquilla and Deportivo Pereira. The owl died due to the kick.
Born in Panama City, Moreno began playing football with local side Deportivo Italia. He was signed by first division club Tauro F.C. in 2001. He had a brief spell with Colombian side Envigado Fútbol Club during 2005 and 2006, before returning to Tauro. Peruvian side Universitario de Deportes attempted to sign him in 2006, but he stayed with Tauro.
In January 2007, Moreno returned to the Colombian league, joining Independiente Santa Fe. The club terminated his contract in May 2007, after a disciplinary incident. He returned to Tauro, but shortly after joined Mexican Primera División A side Tiburones Rojos de Coatzacoalcos.
Owl kicking incident
During a February 2011 league match between Junior de Barranquilla and Deportivo Pereira, Junior's unofficial mascot owl landed on the field during play and was struck by a pass. As the owl lay stunned on the field, Moreno, from the opposing team, kicked it approximately 3 meters (~10 feet) to the touchline. Shortly after, he claimed he was prompting it to fly away but in a later interview he admitted "The kick was a product of tension on the field at the time." The owl was treated for its injuries at a local veterinary clinic, but later died of stress related to the incident. Moreno received a two-match ban, a $560 fine from Colombian football's governing body in addition to veterinary costs for the owl's treatment and was ordered to do community service at a zoo. 
- "Un panameño a la "U"" (in Spanish). Peru.com. 19 August 2006.
- "Moreno es uno de los cinco refuerzos" (in Spanish). Prensa.com. 15 December 2006.
- "Luis Moreno separado del equipo Santa Fe" (in Spanish). Prensa.com. 9 May 2007.
- Figueroa, Carlos (18 August 2007). "Luis Moreno y Edwin fueron presentados" (in Spanish). Panamá America.
- "Luis 'Lucho' Moreno cree en Tauro" (in Spanish). CONCACAF.com. 13 February 2014.
- Courtney, Barrie and Saaid, Hamdan (30 July 2005). "CONCACAF Championship, Gold Cup 2005 - Full Details". RSSSF.
- Saaid, Hamdan (19 July 2007). "CONCACAF Championship, Gold Cup 2007 - Full Details". RSSSF.
- Lugo, Erik Francisco (12 August 2009). "CONCACAF Championship, Gold Cup 2009 - Full Details". RSSSF.
- "Owl kicked by player dies from shock". Smh.com.au. 2011-03-02. Retrieved 2012-06-12.
- "Football player faces sanctions for kicking injured owl in Colombia", The Canadian Press, February 28, 2011.
- "Luis Moreno Owl Abuse". Southamerican-futbol.blogspot.com. 2011-02-27. Retrieved 2012-06-12.
- Reuters (28 April 2011). "Owl-killing footballer ordered to do community service at a zoo | Football | guardian.co.uk". London: Guardian. Retrieved 2012-06-12.
- Luis Moreno at National-Football-Teams.com
- Luis Moreno – FIFA competition record
- Profile at Soccerway