||This article contains weasel words: vague phrasing that often accompanies biased or unverifiable information. (April 2014)|
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014)|
|Full name||Luis Fernando Muriel Fruto|
|Date of birth||16 April 1991|
|Place of birth||Santo Tomás, Colombia|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|2010–2011||→ Granada (loan)||6||(0)|
|2011–2012||→ Lecce (loan)||29||(7)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 24 November 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
He has been considered to be one of the most promising strikers in world football. Often receiving praise from European dominants, Manchester United, Arsenal and Barcelona. During his first season with Udinese, Muriel won the Serie A Young Footballer of the Year along with Stephan El Shaarawy.
Muriel is currently a Colombian international having represented his nation at a full international level since 2012. Considered to be a member of the current golden generation of Colombia, Muriel is regarded as the future of the national team. He made his senior debut in June 2012, in a World Cup qualifying match against Ecuador. The following year, Muriel scored his first goal, against Guatemala.
In January 2009, he was signed by Deportivo Cali and immediately joined their youth side. After spending a year with the youth side of Deportivo, he was promoted to the Liga Postobon I team. On 12 July 2009, he made his debut for his new side against Envigado FC.
Loaned to Granada
Return to Udinese
In summer 2012, Muriel returned to Udinese. On 12 September 2012 Muriel signed a new 5-year contract with Udinese. He made his debut in a 2–1 defeat against Fiorentina, providing the assist for the opening goal. Muriel was awarded Serie A Young Footballer of the Year for 2012, which he shared with Stephan El Shaarawy.
In the qualifying playoff rounds of the 2013-14 UEFA Europa League, Muriel scored 2 goals in a 3-1 victory over Široki Brijeg. It's also noted that he was wearing the number 9 jersey by this point for the club.
In his first league match of the season, Muriel scored against Coppa Italia champions, Lazio in a 2-1 loss. On 1 September, he converted a goal from the penalty spot in a 3-1 win over Parma. Muriel saved Udinese from a 1-0 lost against Bologna by providing a wonderful assist.
Days later, Muriel signed a 5-year extension on his contract, keeping him with the club until 2018.
Muriel played for the Colombian U-20 national team.
Muriel made his debut for the senior squad in the 2014 World Cup Qualification match against Ecuador in a 0-1 loss during 2012. He scored his first goal against Guatemala in 2013.
Style of play
He has been praised often during his time in Italy, which led him to win the award for best young player in the Serie A league in 2012. Many figures in Italy such as fellow Udinese teammate Antonio Di Natale, praised Muriel for his potential.
Muriel stated that his comparison to Brazilian legend Ronaldo by his playing style, is likely because he was a main supporter of Ronaldo during his time in Inter Milan. Muriel went on to say that he supported Inter Milan because Ronaldo was playing for them at the time. Coincidentally, Muriel also stated that he also suffers weight issues (like Ronaldo during his time) and had to lose five kilos at one point. This meant that he had to be consistent with fitness, which explained his similar style to the Brazilian legend and high quality in terms of athletic stature.
- Napoli hoopt 'Colombiaanse Ronaldo' te strikken •. Elfvoetbal.nl.
- CALCIOMERCATO/ Napoli, Di Salvatore (ag. FIFA): Muriel erede di Cavani? Meglio Osvaldo... (esclusiva). Ilsussidiario.net.
- Why Man Utd and Liverpool have joined the battle for Luis Muriel – the new Ronaldo | Transfers. Tribal Football (17 April 2012).
- Profile by Deportivo Cali. Deporcali.com.
- Futbolmanía RCN (ed.): «Tres goles de Muriel le dan respiro al Deportivo Cali ». Canalrcn.com.
- ESPN Deportes.com (ed.): «Luis Muriel jugará en Udinese ». ESPN.go.com (1 January 2008).
- Colombia – L. Muriel – Profile with news, career statistics and history – Soccerway. Soccerway.
- Granada Club de Fútbol – Web oficial. Granadacf.es.
- "Muriel rinnova fino al 2017!" (in Italian). Udinese Calcio. 12 September 2012. Retrieved 12 September 2012.
- Fiorentina vs Udinese. Football Italia (25 August 2012).
- Gran Gala del Calcio 2012 – Winners. Forza Italian Football (28 January 2013).
- Todos los Fichajes: Luis Muriel ficha por el Udinese. Milfichajes.blogspot.com (22 June 2010).
- Muriel will be a great, says Di Natale. Football Italia (2 May 2013).
- Player Focus: Luis Muriel – The Forgotten Forward in This Summer's Transfer Window. Whoscored.com (18 July 2013).