Luis Pereyra (born July 9, 1965) is a dancer and choreographer of Tango Argentino and Argentinian folklore.
Luis Pereyra was born to a humble working-class family, in the province of Santiago del Estero. At the early age of five he danced in folk groups. At the age of eleven he made his first professional appearance as a member of the ballet Argentino directed by Mario Machaco and Norma Ré. He made his first appearance on stage at the legendary Caño 14, where the famous bandoneón player Aníbal Troilo appeared at the same time. Later Luis Pereyra became a member of the Ballett Salta, directed by Marina and Hugo Jiménez.
Luis Pereyra studied choreography under Maestro Carusso direction in Teatro Colón, the opera house of Buenos Aires, and at Escuela Nacional de Danzas. He took studies with renowned maestros such as Santiago Ayala "El Chúcaro", Hugo Jiménez, Mario Machaco, Héctor Zaraspe, Irene Acosta, Ana Marini, Wasil Tupin and Mercedes Serrano. His professional education comprises Modern Dance, classical ballet, jazz dance, folklore, tap dance and he studied music.
He took part in all of the outstanding tango productions, e.g., Forever Tango, Tango Pasión and – from 1987 to 2000 in the musical Tango Argentino, produced by Claudio Segovia and Héctor Orrezoli. It was here that Luis Pereyra was nominated for the Tony Award He went on tour through the U.S.A., Canada, Great Britain, Germany, Japan, Austria, Switzerland and France. In 2001 he danced the solo part in the opera Orestes – Last Tango, directed by choreographer Oscar Araiz, produced on the occasion of WMTF Festival Holland. In the course of his career he danced on the important stages e.g., Gershwin Theater on Broadway, Théâtre du Châtelet, Paris, Aldwych Theatre in London´s West End, Cologne Philharmonie, Alte Oper in Frankfurt am Main and Deutsches Theater München (Munic). In 1994 he danced for Paramount Pictures and was presented by Al Pacino. In 1995 he danced in the Castro Theater in San Francisco on stage with Robin Williams and Peter Coyote.
Luis Pereyra´s choreographic work is influenced mainly by his Argentinian origin. His works are always closely related to popular and folkloric dances and show a pure choice of elements. His oeuvre is based on his principle: "Unity. What belongs together, should not be separated." He regards the culture of Argentine as a unity, and Tango Argentino as an integral part of Argentinian folklore. From his very start he has followed this principle. It is his aim to unite all of Argentine's dances on one stage: Tango, Chacarera, Milonga, Milonga Sureña, Zamba, Gato and Malambo, the Gaucho dance, just to mention a few of them, being on the same level, in connection with each other and creating a picture of the country Argentine as a whole, as one unity. Luis Pereyra considers music as genesis of all dance. For this reason he chooses carefully strong and expressive compositions of original Argentinian music and cares about authentic instruments, as Bandoneón, Cajas, Bombo, and others.
Tom Noga wrote on August 19, 2004 in Frankfurter Rundschau, German daily paper: "El Sonido de mi Tierra is a revue of dance and music. A declaration of love to Argentine, her people and landscapes."
In most of his productions Luis Pereyra personally takes part as a dancer. Among his last productions you can find Café de los Angelitos – El Tango as well as all of the productions of his music and dance company El Sonido de mi Tierra (The Sound of my Earth).
Since 2001 Luis Pereyra has been collaborating with his partner under the name of Nicole Nau & Luis Pereyra.
Appearances as choreographer and dancer: a selection
- 1986: A todo Tango, with Mariano Mores - Brazil, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Mexico
- 1987-2000: Tango Argentino, Musical by Claudio Segovia and Héctor Orezzoli - USA, Canada, Great Britain, Germany, Japan, Switzerland, The Netherlands and France
- 1988: Tango 88, with Leopoldo Federico - Japan
- 1990: Forever Tango - USA
- 1991: Tango with Orquesta Juan d'Arienzo - Japan
- 1991: Tango 91, with El Sexteto Tango - Japan
- 1994: Forever Tango - USA
- 1994: Festival Cosquín 34th edition - Argentina
- 1995: Tango Pasión, with José Libertella and the Sexteto Mayor - Germany, Spain, The Netherlands, Great Britain
- 1998: Tango La Danza De Fuego - Argentina
- 1999-2000: Tango Pasión, with José Libertella and the Sexteto Mayor - Germany, Greece, Great Britain
- 2001: El Baile, with Peteco Carabajal - Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 2001-2006: Tango en el Viejo Almacén - traditional tango theater - Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 2001: Latin Dance Carnival - Japan
- 2002: Orestes last Tango, tango opera, WMTF World Music Theatre Festival - the Netherlands, Belgium
- 2003-2005: El Sonido de Mi Tierra – Personalísimo - Europe, Argentina
- 2006: Bailando en Soledad – Tango! - Europe, Argentina
- 2007: Secretos de la Danza...Tango! - Europe, Argentina
- 2007-2010: Café de los Angelitos – El Tango - Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 2009: Argentinísima - Julio Márbiz - Los 40 años - Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- 2009: El Color de mi Baile - Europe, Argentina
- 2010-2011: El Viejo Almacén Artistic Director - Argentina
- 2011: Tango Puro Argentino tour Europe
- 2011: Aquí!!! Folklore Teatro Astral, Buenos Aires Argentina. Artistic Director. Artists: Cuti & Roberto Carabajal, El Chaqueño Palavecino, Suna Rocha, Zamba Quipildor, Nicole Nau, Leopoldo Federico, Mario Alvaréz Quiroga, Julia Elena Dávalos. Created by Julio Márbiz
- 2011: Misa Criolla at the place of the Monumento a la Bandera, Rosario Argentina. Choreography, Dance and Percussion. Artists: the tenor Zamba Quipildor and Luis Lima.
- 2011: Misa Criolla at the Plaza Mayor of Monte Grande Argentina. Choreography, Dance and Percussion. Life transmission on TV by the Argentine channel C5N. Artists: Zamba Quipildor and the Oscar winner Soledad Villamil.
- 2011: 7th Festival Internacional de Tango in Justo Daract, San Luis Argentina. Choreography, Dance and Artistic Director for the Viejo Almacén. Live transmission by the Argentine Television Channel 26. Artists: Hugo Marcel and Nelly Vázquez.
- 2012: Tango Puro Argentino on board of the cruise ship MS Deutschland, Traumschiff. Artists: Carlos Galván
- 2012: Festival de la Chacarera, Santiago del Estero
- 2012: Cronica TV - Argentinisima La Peña de Martin Márbiz Artistic Direction of the TV Programm since 18.3.2012
- 2012: Carabajalazo in the City Center Rosario
- 2012: Tango Puro Argentino y más! artistic director, choreographer and artist. Première at the Centro Cultural Borges, Buenos Aires 17 June 2012. Further Tour through Europe, as Berlin Tipizelt, Theaterhaus Stuttgart, Konzerttheater Coesfeld
- 2012: SWR 3 Germany, Menschen der Woche, Frank Elstner
- 2012: Performance in Laferrere with Chaqueño Palavecino, live on TV C5N
- 2012: Tango Puro Argentino y más! in Rio Tubio
- 2013: Festival Cosquin with Claudio Pereyra Cordoba
- 2013: Festival Cosquin Interpretation Vidala para mi Sombra with Oscar El Chaqueño Palavecino Cordoba
- 2013: El Sonido de mi Tierra artistic direction, choreography and performance. Debut in the Teatro Sala Siranush, Buenos Aires, 9 February 2013
- 2013: Viejo Almacen in Buenos Aires, special guests in the running show since February 2013
- 2013: Viejo Almacén, artistic direction since June 2013
- 2013: Das Traumschiff, show on MS Deutschland
- 2013: DAS! Abendmagazin, NDR TV Live Show 27.9.2013
- 2013: Tour 2013 El Sonido de mi Tierra - The great dance of Argentina. Premiere 29.9.2013
- 2013 y 2014: El Viejo Almacén Artistic Direction
- 2014: Festival Cosquin Edition 54. Presentation with the own company El Sonido de mi Tierra.
- 2014: Performance during the presentation of the book of Nicole Nau Tanze Tango mit dem Leben in the german embassy, Buenos Aires Deutschen Botschaft Buenos Aires. The event was organized by embassador Graf Bernhard von Waldersee and his wife Gräfin Katerina von Waldersee.
- 2000: nomination for the Tony Award as best revival of a musical for Tango - Argentino www.ibdb.com
- 2012: Tango Puro Argentino y Más has been declarded as De Interés Cultural by Secretaría de Cultura de la Presidencia de la Nación, Ref.Expete.S.C.Nro 6020/12
- 2014: Nicole Nau & Luis Pereyra Company is nominated as Member of the International Dance Council CID | UNESCO by CID Präsident Dr. Alkis Raftis
DVD and CD
- 2004: Curso de Tango & Folklore Argentino. ICARO Producciones.
- 2004: El Sonido de mi Tierra. ICARO Producciones.
- 2007: Bailando en Soledad Tango. DVD of the presentation on stage.
- 2008: Secretos de la Danza, music CD of the show.
- Luis Pereyra at tangofolklore.com
- Luis Pereyra at www.the-great-dance-of-argentina.de
- Video Clip Café de los Angelitos - El Tango© 2007 - 2010 por Guido Gayk y Nicole Nau & Luis Pereyra
- Video Clip El Color de mi Baile, Tango Chacarera y mas© 2009 por Guido Gayk y Nicole Nau & Luis Pereyra
- Cafe de los Angelitos
- Café de los Angelitos
- Tony Award Nomination Tango Argentino Internet Broadway Database
- Café de los Angelitos La Nación, Argentinean daily paper, (Spanish)
- Tango Opera La Nación, Argentinean daily paper, (Spanish)
- Biography in Enciclopedia 10Tango.com (Spanish)
- Broadway Yearbook, 1999 - 2000; Author Steven Suscin; page 76-77
- Luis Pereyra Tony Award Nomination at IBDB, International Broadway Database 2000
- Review of Orestes - Last Tango, Diego Fischermann: Traducir personajes a música (Spanish) 7 February 2002
- Review of Café de los Angelitos - El Tango by Virginia Kirst: Neueröffnung des Café de los Angelitos, Argentinisches Tageblatti Argentinian daily paper, page 5, 7 April 2007 (German)
- Forever Tango, the eternal dance. In: This Week Key San Francisco, November 25 through December 1, 1994, Cover
- Juan Garf: "Buenos Aires. Die Stadt, die alles hat". In: GEO Special 5 October/November 2006, page 134 (German)
- Tom Noga: "Tango!". In: Frankfurter Rundschau, German daily paper, Kultur, 19 August 2004, page 30, 31
- Rezension El Sonido de mi Tierra, Teatro Empire, Gabriel Plaza: Los origenes de la música, La Nación, 19 June 2003 (Spanish)
- Review of Bailando en Soledad, Anne-Kathrin Reiff, RGA: Seele des Tanzes...Bailando en Soledad-Tango. 29 August 2006 (German)
- Rezension zu Secretos de la Danza, Anne-Kathrin Reiff: Tango und Folklore im Teo Otto Theater. 20 November 2007 (German)
- Review of Café de los Angelitos, el Tango! Daniel Sousa: Noche de Tango entre ángeles, La Prensa, Argentinian daily paper, 2 July 2007 (Spanish)
- Programm Argentinisima - los 40 años, Teatro Broadway.
- Review of El Color de mi Baile, Lena Kismer: Gestatten mein Name ist Tango!
- Review of El Color de mi Baile, Daniel Sousa: Paisajes y ritmos, La Prensa, Argentinian daily paper, 14 September 2009 (Spanish)
- Review Tangos en El Viejo Almacén, Enrique Honorio Destaville: La nueva Etapa para la Revista Noticias
- Review of the argentine Newspaper Página 12: Con la voz de un distinguido
- Review by Eduardo Menescaldi for the argentine newspaper El Sol de Quilmes: Zamba Quipildor presenta la Misa Criolla y Navidad Nuestra en Monte Grande
- Review at the official website of Justo Daract La Segunda que fué de primera
- Nuevo diario Santiago del Estero
- Enrique Honorio Destaville, Revista Noticias
- Pilar Diario
- Carlos Paz Vivo
- Rezension von Ricardo Saltón, Ambito Financiero
- LIVE Show and Talk with Nicole Nau, Bettina Titjen, DAS! NDR