April 12, 1984|
|Died||August 2, 2006
Cause of death
|Heart failure caused by anorexia nervosa|
|Hair color||Dark Blonde|
On August 2, 2006, at 9:15 p.m., Ramos died of heart failure caused by anorexia nervosa while participating in a fashion show during Fashion Week in Montevideo, Uruguay. Ramos had felt ill after walking the runway and subsequently fainted on her way back to the dressing room. She died at the age of 22. Ramos' father told police that she had gone "several days" without eating. She was reported to have adopted a diet of lettuce and Diet Coke for the three months before her death. At the time of her death she had a body mass index (BMI) of just 14.5. She weighed 44 kg (96.8 lbs) at a height of 1.75 m (5 ft 9 in). The World Health Organization classifies a BMI of under 16 as severe thinness.
In the wake of Ramos' death, Madrid Fashion Week (held in September 2006) set a minimum BMI of 18 for all models. In December that year, Italian fashion designers banned size zero models from walking down their catwalks.
Her remains are buried at Cementerio del Buceo, Montevideo.
- List of deaths from anorexia nervosa
- List of models who died during their careers in the 21st century
- "Tomato diet model dies of anorexia". Liberty Post. November 18, 2006. Retrieved 2006-11-27.
- "Survival of the thinnest". Melbourne: The Age. October 5, 2006. Retrieved 2006-11-27.
- "This is the model who sparked size zero debate". The Daily Mail. September 21, 2006. Retrieved 2006-11-27.
- "Global Database on Body Mass Index". World Health Organization. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- "Italian fashion designers ban size zero models from the catwalks". Daily Mail. Dec 19, 2006. Retrieved 2007-02-14.
- "Family tragedy as two sisters, both models, die". Sydney Morning Herald. February 15, 2007. Retrieved 2007-02-15.
- "Second model sister dies of malnutrition". Sydney Morning Herald. February 14, 2007. Retrieved 2007-02-14.
- "Stop this absurdity! Luisel’s sister Eliana Ramos dies of malnutrition too!". MBI. February 14, 2007. Retrieved 2007-02-14.
- "Uruguay Shocked by Deaths of Model Sisters Months Apart". Fox News. February 15, 2007. Retrieved 2007-02-15.