Luiz Alberto Figueiredo
Luiz Alberto Figueiredo Machado
|Brazilian Ambassador to the United States|
1 January 2015
|Nominated by||Dilma Rousseff|
|Preceded by||Mauro Vieira|
|Minister of External Relations|
28 August 2013 – 1 January 2015
|Preceded by||Antonio Patriota|
|Succeeded by||Mauro Vieira|
17 July 1955 |
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Luiz Alberto Figueiredo Machado (born 1955) is a Brazilian diplomat and former Minister of External Relations, having succeeded Antonio Patriota and was succeeded by Mauro Vieira. Figueiredo took office as foreign minister on August 28, 2013., and left office on December 31, 2014. He has been appointed as Brazilian Ambassador to the United States.
First assigned to New York in 1986 until 1989, he continued his professional career at Brazil's diplomatic missions in Santiago, Chile, serving until 1992. He has also held diplomatic positions in Washington, D.C. from 1996 to 1999, Ottawa from 1999 to 2002 and Paris, as representative to the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), from 2003 to 2005.
He served as Director-General in the Ministry's Department of Environment and Special Affairs, and previously headed its Environmental Policy and Sustainable Development Divisions, as well as its Division on Sea, Antarctic and Outer Space Affairs. He came Under-Secretary for Environment, Energy, Science and Technology in Brazil’s Foreign Ministry since 2011. Director-General in the Ministry’s Department of Environment and Special Affairs, and previously headed its Environmental Policy and Sustainable Development Divisions, as well as its Division on Sea, Antarctic and Outer Space Affairs. From June to August 2013 he was the Permanent Representative of Brazil to the United Nations.
- "Brazil's top diplomat resigns amid soaring tensions with Bolivia over asylum for politician". The Sydney Morning Herold. 2013-08-27.
- "Brazil foreign minister quits over Bolivia senator row". BBC News. 2013-08-27.
- "Brazil sends foreign minister to China/Celac meeting in Beijing". Merco Press. 7 January 2015. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- Biographical Note United Nations, 25 June 2013
- Curriculum Vitae Permanent Mission of Brazil to the United Nations
- Financial Times Global Conferences & Events, 24 April 2012
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Luiz Alberto Figueiredo.|
|This Brazilian diplomat-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|