Luiz R. S. Simmons
|Luiz R. S. Simmons|
|Member of the Maryland House of Delegates from District 17|
January 8, 2003
|Member of the Maryland House of Delegates|
January 10, 1979 – January 12, 1983
|Born||January 27, 1949
|Children||Joshua, Rachel Simmons|
Luiz R. S. Simmons (born January 27, 1949) is an American politician who represents the 17th legislative district of the state of Maryland in the Maryland House of Delegates. The 17th district is located in Montgomery County and includes Gaithersburg, Rockville and Garrett Park. Simmons was first elected to the Maryland House of Delegates as a Republican in 1975. After serving 4 years, Simmons ran for County Executive in Montgomery County but was defeated in 1982. Simmons was elected again to the House of Delegates, as a Democrat in 2002.
|This section requires expansion. (June 2008)|
Born in Winchester, Virginia, January 27, 1949, Simmons attended Plainview High School, Plainview, New York, graduating in 1966. He then attended the American University, earning a B.A. (school of international service) in 1970 and then a J.D. from the Washington College of Law at American University, J.D. 1974. Simmons was admitted to Maryland Bar in 1975 and the District of Columbia Bar in 1975.
In the legislature
Simmons was a member of House of Delegates from January 10, 1979 to January 12, 1983. He has now been a member since January 8, 2003. He currently serves on the House Judiciary Committee and the Legislative Policy Committee.
- primary sponsor - Domestic Abuser Expungement Bill - would enable accused domestic abusers to expunge their court records. (HB1181) 
- primary sponsor -Possessing Stolen Property (HB282 Became Law - Chapter 394) 
- primary sponsor -Preservation of Right to Jury or Judge Trial Act (HB577 Became Law - Chapter 665)
- primary sponsor -Safe Schools Reporting Act (HB1209 Became Law - Chapter 687)
- voted in favor of in-state tuition for students who attended Maryland highschools for at least 2 years (HB6-2007) 
- voted for the Healthy Air Act in 2006 (SB154) 
- voted against slots in 2005 (HB1361) 
- "Luiz Simmons". Maryland Manual. Retrieved 2008-01-16.
- "HB6". Maryland Department of Legislative Reference. Retrieved 2008-01-16.
- "SB154". Maryland Department of Legislative Reference. Retrieved 2008-01-16.
- "HB1361". Maryland Department of Legislative Reference. Retrieved 2008-01-16.
|This article about a Maryland politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|