Lukas Biewald speaking at PopTech 2011
|Residence||San Francisco, California|
|Alma mater||Stanford University|
|Occupation||Founder and Chairman of CrowdFlower|
Lukas Biewald (born 1981 in Massachusetts) is an entrepreneur living in San Francisco, California. Biewald is CEO of CrowdFlower (formerly Dolores Labs) — an Internet company that breaks large digital projects into small tasks and distributes them to workers around the world — which he co-founded in December 2007 with Chris Van Pelt.
Prior to co-founding CrowdFlower, Biewald was a Senior Scientist and Manager within the Ranking and Management Team at Powerset, a natural language search technology company later acquired by Microsoft.
From 2005 to 2006, Biewald led the Search Relevance Team for Yahoo! Japan, where he focused on using statistical machine learning approaches to improve the web search ranking function for international markets.
Awards and Honors
In 2010, he won the Netexplorateur Prize for creating the GiveWork iPhone app, which allows users to perform small tasks that assist refugees and people in developing countries. Later that year, Inc. Magazine included Biewald and Van Pelt on its list of the Top 30 Entrepreneurs Under 30.
Biewald and Van Pelt launched CrowdFlower as a product of Dolores Labs at TechCrunch50 in 2009, where the company placed as a finalist.
He is the author of several academic papers on applications of crowdsourcing, as well as a chapter on crowdsourcing gender and age stereotypes in O'Reilly Media's Beautiful Data that he co-authored with Brendan O'Connor.
Biewald holds an MS in Computer Science and a BS in Mathematics from Stanford University.
While pursuing his Master's in Computer Science at Stanford University, Biewald won the California Institute of Technology Turing Tournament.
- Barret, Victoria (11 March 2009). "Dolores Labs Vets Web Sites On The Cheap". Forbes. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- "Lukas BIEWALD / Add value to the world". Netexplorateur. 4 May 2010. Retrieved 17 April 2011.
- "GiveWork - Dolores Labs - platform iOS 3.0 - version 1.1". 3 February 2010.
- Lagorio, Christine (19 July 2010). "Lukas Biewald and Chris Van Pelt, Founders of Crowdflower". Inc. Magazine. Retrieved 17 April 2011.
- "The TechCrunch50 Finalists 2009". TechCrunch. Retrieved 17 April 2011.
- Biewald, Lukas. Massive multiplayer human computation for fun, money, and survival. doi:10.1145/1869086.1869093. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- "Scalable crisis relief: Crowdsourced SMS translation and categorization with Mission 4636". ACM DEV ’10. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- "Ensuring quality in crowdsourced search relevance evaluation: The effects of training question distribution". SIGIR ’10. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- Beautiful Data. O'Reilly Media. 2009. p. 384. ISBN 978-0-596-15711-1.
- [dead link]