|Elevation||1,160 m (3,810 ft)|
|Population (2014 Census)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Lukaya lies on the Masaka-Kampala Highway, close to the shores of Lake Victoria and just south of the Equator. The town is approximately 28 kilometres (17 mi), by road, northeast of Masaka, the largest city in the sub-region. This location is approximately 103 kilometres (64 mi), by road, southwest of Kampala, the capital of Uganda, and the largest city in that country. The coordinates of Lukaya are:0°09'03.0"S, 31°52'28.0"E (Latitude:-0.150833; Longitude:31.874444).
The 2002 population census estimated the population of the town at 14,147. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) estimated the population of the town to be 15,300. In 2011, UBOS estimated the population of Lukaya at about 15,500. In 2014, the national population census put Lukaya's population at 24,250.
Points of interest
The following pints of interest landmarks lie within the town limits or near its borders:
- The shores of Lake Victoria
- The mouth of Katonga River - The river enters Lake Victoria near Lukaya
- The Lweera Swamp - The wetland contains the sources of River Katonga and retches for nearly 20 kilometres (12 mi), along the highway between Lukaya to the southwest and Kayabwe to the northeast.
- The Equator, at the point it crosses the Kampala-Masaka Highway
- Lukaya Central Market
- The offices of Lukaya Town Council
- UBOS, . (29 November 2014). "The Population of The Regions of the Republic of Uganda And All Cities And Towns of More Than 15,000 Inhabitants". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- "Road Distance Between Masaka And Lukaya With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- "Map Showing Kampala And Lukaya With Route Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- Google, . "Location of Lukaya At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- UBOS, . "Estimated Population of Lukaya in 2002, 2010 & 2011" (PDF). Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 28 February 2015.