Luke Burgess (rugby league)
20 February 1987 |
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England
|Height||194 cm (6 ft 4 in)|
|Weight||112 kg (17 st 9 lb)|
|As of 5 February 2014|
|Source: Rugby League Project|
Luke Burgess (born 20 February 1987) is an English professional rugby league footballer in the National Rugby League (NRL) for Australian club, South Sydney Rabbitohs. A forward like his brothers and Souths teammates Sam, George and Tom, he previously played in Super League for English sides, Harlequins and Leeds Rhinos, with whom he won the 2009 Super League Grand Final.
Burgess was born on 20 February 1987 in Liversedge, Wakefield, West Yorkshire. His late father, Mark Burgess who died of Motor neurone disease, was also a rugby league footballer who played for Nottingham City, Rochdale Hornets, Dewsbury and Hunslet; whilst his mother Julie is a teacher, currently employed at The Scots College in Bellevue Hill, Sydney. His younger brother Sam, and younger twin brothers Tom and George, are all professional rugby league footballers as well.
He attended Heckmondwike Grammar School to receive a secondary education before becoming a professional rugby player. He played his junior rugby for Dewsbury Moor, and also played for Liversedge Cricket Club.
Professional playing career
Burgess' début game was against Castleford Tigers at Wheldon Road, Leeds lost this game. Burgess scored his first try on his second game against Harlequins RL. At the end of the 2008 season, Burgess became the inaugural winner of the Albert Goldthorpe Rookie of the Year Award, presented by the leading trade newspaper, Rugby Leaguer & League Express.
In 2009, Burgess played in 28 games, however, he only scored one try for the club against Salford City Reds, compared to five tries from only five appearances in 2008.
National Rugby League
In May 2013, model Yolanda Hodgson who had been a contestant on Australia's Next Top Model in 2011, gave birth to the couples first child, daughter Grace Luca. In August 2013, the Burgess brothers became the first set of four brothers to line up in the same Australian side since Ray, Roy, Rex and Bernard Norman played for Sydney's Annandale club in the 1910 NSWRFL season.
- Irvine, Christopher (26 October 2007). "Sam Burgess inspired by memory of late father". The Times Online. Retrieved 17 September 2009.
- "Bulls snap up Burgess twins". Halifax Evening Courier. 17 January 2008. Retrieved 17 September 2009.
- "The Albert Goldthorpe Awards". totalrl.com. League Publications. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Family affair at Rabbitohs". Sky Sports. 21 June 2011.
- Nicolussi, Christian (29 June 2011). "Luke Burgess named to make NRL debut with South Sydney". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "Rugby league history as FOUR English brothers star for Russell Crowe's side". Mirror. 30 August 2013. Retrieved 19 October 2013.