Luke Davies ...
Luke Davies is an Australian writer of poetry, novels and screenplays, born in Sydney in 1962.
Davies' first poetry collection Four Plots for Magnets was published in 1982 by S. K. Kelen at Glandular Press when he was 20 years old.
It will be republished by Pitt Street Poetry in May 2013.
His other works include the novels Isabelle the Navigator and God of Speed, and several volumes of poetry - Four Plots for Magnets, Absolute Event Horizon, Running With Light, Totem and Interferon Psalms.
Davies' brother Ben Davies, an Australian television producer, now teaches at Armidale Film and Television School in NSW, Australia.
Youngest brother Felix Davies, is a sound recordist and composer, residing in the United Kingdom.
Awards and nominations
- 1995: Turnbull Fox Phillips Poetry Prize Shortlisted for Absolute Event Horizon
- 1998: A Sydney Morning Herald Young Writer of the Year
- 2000: Queensland Premier's Literary Awards, Judith Wright Poetry Prize for Running With Light
- 2004: The Age Poetry Book of the Year for Totem
- 2004: Overall Age Book of the Year for Totem
- 2004: Grace Leven Prize for Poetry for Totem
- 2004: Philip Hodgins Memorial Medal at the Mildura Writer's Festival
- 2006: South Australian Premier's Awards, John Bray Poetry Award for Totem
- 2012: Prime Minister's Literary Awards Poetry Winner for Interferon Psalms
- Candy (Allen & Unwin Publishers, Sydney 1997)
- Candy (Vintage Books, London 1998)
- Candy: A Novel of Love and Addiction (Ballantine Books, New York 1998) ISBN 0-345-42387-9 (note: Davies made small but significant changes to the US and UK editions; he considers that the Australian edition, second edition and afterwards, is the definitive version.)
- Isabelle the Navigator (Allen & Unwin Publishers, Sydney 2000)
- Isabelle the Navigator (Berkley Books, New York 2002) ISBN 0-425-18604-0
- God of Speed (Allen and Unwin, 2008), about Howard Hughes
- Four plots for magnets (Glandular Press, 1982) ISBN 0-9594130-3-0
- Absolute event horizon : poems (Angus & Robertson, 1994) ISBN 0-207-18402-X
- Running with light : poems (Allen & Unwin, 1999) ISBN 1-86508-012-8
- Totem : Totem poem plus 40 love poems (Allen & Unwin, 2004) ISBN 1-74114-348-9 Review
- Interferon psalms: 33 psalms on the 99 names of God (Allen & Unwin, 2011) ISBN 978-1-74237-034-7
- Four plots for magnets (Pitt Street Poetry reissue with additional material, 2013) ISBN 978-1-922080-12-7
- Davies, Luke (March 2009). "Tales of the City". The Monthly 43: 64–66. Film review of Milk, directed by Gus Van Sant.
- Davies, Luke (September 2008). "The Penalty is Death". The Monthly 38.
- Davies, Luke (March 2008). "Heath Ledger, 1979–2008". The Monthly 32.
- Davies, Luke (April 2007). "Extravagant Stillness: Philip Gröning’s 'Into Great Silence'". The Monthly 22.
- "Mildura Writers' Festival, Thursday 20 – Sunday 23 July 2006". Arts Festival 07 Mildura/Wentworth. Archived from the original on 2007-06-08. Retrieved 2007-08-04.
- Allen & Unwin Frankfurt 2007 Adult Titles
- ABC TV Sunday Arts 30 July 2006 Accessed: 16 July 2007
- Steger, Jason (2004) "Love in the time of poetry" in The Age 21 August 2007 Accessed: 16 July 2007
- Candy Film Review
-  Profile on Davies in The Australian Weekend Magazine, March 2008