|Born||30 April 1996|
|Origin||Leeds, England, United Kingdom|
Luke Friend (born 30 April 1996) is a student from Teignmouth in Devon. Luke finished third in the tenth series of The X Factor in 2013. After the show, he signed with RCA Records in October 2014 and released his debut single Hole In My Heart in March 2015.
He was born in Leeds and grew up in the Chapel Allerton area of the city. He is the son of gym owner, Steve Friend. He also used to live in Shipley, Bradford, where he attended Beckfoot School, before moving to Devon when he was 13. He then attended Coombeshead Academy.
2013: The X Factor
In July 2013, Friend won TeenStar 2013. Luke took part in the tenth series of The X Factor. Friend's room audition, in which he sang "Stand by Me", was the first audition of the series to be broadcast. Walsh commented "You have your own style, your own finish, love your voice. You're different." Friend's arena audition saw him sing "Too Much Love Will Kill You". He performed "Alone" at bootcamp, and then "Cannonball" and "Somewhere Only We Know" at judges' houses. In week 6, Friend was in the bottom two with Sam Callahan, but was saved after Walsh refused to vote and then Scherzinger, Barlow and Osbourne all voted to send Callahan home. In week 8, he was in the bottom two with Tamera Foster. Walsh and Osbourne backed him, Scherzinger chose to eliminate him and Barlow couldn't decide who to send home so he decided to send Luke home to take it to deadlock. Friend was saved by the public vote and progressed through to the semi-final. In the semi-final he was in the bottom two again, this time with Rough Copy. Walsh backed Friend as his own act, whilst Barlow did the same with Rough Copy. Scherzinger chose to send Rough Copy into the final, but Osbourne could not decide and so chose to send it to deadlock again. Friend was revealed to have received more votes and was sent through to the final. In the final on 14 December, Friend performed a duet with Ellie Goulding and later finished in third place.
2014–present: Debut single
On 19 January 2014, Friend won "Rising Star of 2014" in the Best of 2013 awards. He signed a deal with RCA Records and on 15 October 2014, a lyric video for a new song "Take On the World" was posted on his official YouTube page. His debut single is "Hole in My Heart" and the video appeared on his official YouTube page on 8 February 2015. It will be officially released on 29 March.[dated info] As of 18 February 2015, his album is 90% complete. Luke has also toured Britian on his sold-out Hole in My Heart Tour' in Totnes, Leeds, Manchester, Glasgow, Bristol and London.
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2015||"Hole in My Heart"||40||20||TBA|
- "Childhood snaps reveal X Factor star Luke Friend has always loved his funky hair style". Exeter Express and Echo. 22 November 2013. Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- Vizard, Natalie (10 September 2013). "Devon TeenStar Luke Friend has The X Factor". The Exeter Daily. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "Video: Leeds-born X Factor contestant Luke Friend calls on city's support". Yorkshire Evening Post (Johnston Press). 6 December 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "Leeds’s own X Factor singer faces boot camp challenge". Yorkshire Evening Post (Johnston Press). 20 September 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "A TED EXCLUSIVE: We interview Devon and X Factor's Luke Friend!". The Exeter Daily. 20 September 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- Clayton, Emma (6 December 2013). "Former Shipley boy Luke Friend aims for X Factor final". Telegraph & Argus (Newsquest). Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- Walmesley, Adam (8 November 2013). "Dad of X Factor star Luke Friend sets his son a top six target". Express & Echo (Local World). Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- "Teenstar's 2013 winner Luke Friend – now in the X Factor!". grapevinelive.co.uk. November 2013. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- Adams, Nico (23 September 2013). "X Factor 2013: Who could go all the way?". Metro (DMG Media). Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- Greenwood, Carl (14 December 2013). "X Factor 2013 finalist Luke Friend: Third-placed dreadlocked singer's journey in videos". Daily Mirror (Trinity Mirror). Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- Charalambous, Sophia (14 December 2013). "X Factor Final: Luke Friend leaves the show as Sam Bailey and Nicholas McDonald are left to battle it out to be crowned winner". Daily Mail (DMG Media). Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "This Week's Fresh Music Top 20". Fresh Music Top 20. 4Music. 18 February 2015.