Luke Mitchell in 2011
17 April 1985 |
Gold Coast, Australia
|Spouse(s)||Rebecca Breeds (m. 2013)|
Luke Mitchell (born 17 April 1985) is an Australian actor and model. Mitchell aimed to be a professional tennis player, but gave the sport up when he realised that it was the only thing in his life. He then attended the Film and Television Studio International and won the role of Chris Knight in Neighbours. Mitchell appeared in the third season of H2O: Just Add Water as Will, before starring as Romeo Smith in Home and Away. The role saw Mitchell win the Most Popular New Male Talent Logie Award in 2010. As of 2013[update], he is starring as John Young in the CW's The Tomorrow People.
Mitchell was born on 17 April 1985 and grew up on the Gold Coast. His parents later divorced and both went on to remarry. Mitchell has three brothers and a younger sister, Bree. His older brother coaches tennis, while his younger brother, Ben, is in the top 10 of Australian Tennis Players. Mitchell played tennis from the age of five to nineteen. He aimed to go professional, but gave it up after realising it was the only thing in his life. Mitchell attended Nerang State High School.
Mitchell trained at the Film and Television Studio International and worked with professionals such as Joss McWilliam, Iain Gardner, Kim Krejus and Dean Carey. He travelled around Australia with international entertainment company Sudden Impact Entertainment and worked in their live theatre shows.
Whilst working in Melbourne he successfully auditioned for the guest-role of Chris Knight in Neighbours and appeared in 11 episodes. He then moved back to the Gold Coast to play the part of Will in the third season of H2O: Just Add Water. In 2008, Mitchell filmed the gay-themed romance Performance Anxiety, which was selected as part of the 9th Annual Brisbane Queer Film Festival as a screening for cast and crew.
In June 2009, Mitchell relocated to Sydney and began starring as Romeo Smith in Home and Away. Mitchell won the 2010 Logie Award for Most Popular New Male Talent for his portrayal of Romeo. On 4 November 2012, it was announced that Mitchell had chosen to leave Home and Away and his character will depart on-screen in 2013.
In February 2013, Mitchell was cast as John Young in The CW's remake of Tomorrow People. In July 2014, it was announced that Mitchell had joined the cast of US series Members Only playing Jesse.
Mitchell once shared a house with his H2O: Just Add Water co-stars Burgess Abernethy, Phoebe Tonkin and Cariba Heine. During a TV Week interview, Mitchell revealed that his interests were body boarding, nature and going to the movies.
|2008||Neighbours||Chris Knight||Guest role; 11 episodes|
|2008||Performance Anxiety||Peter Koliat||Film|
|2009–2010||H2O: Just Add Water||Will Benjamin||Regular for season 3|
|2009–2013||Home and Away||Romeo Smith||Regular role|
|2013-2014||The Tomorrow People||John Young||Lead role|
Awards and nominations
|Logie Award||2 May 2010||Most Popular New Male Talent||Won|
- "About the Stars: Luke Mitchell as 'Will'". ZDF-Enterprises.de. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- Chegwidden, Yvette (5–11 September 2009). "New boy in the Bay". TV Week (ACP Magazines) (36): 17.
- "Home and Away: Luke Mitchell". Yahoo!7 TV. Retrieved 19 March 2010.
- Walton, Darren (4 July 2010). "Benjamin Mitchell the new star in his family household". Perth Now. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "Home and Away: Romeo Smith". Holy Soap. Archived from the original on 9 November 2010. Retrieved 19 March 2010.
- Tucker-Evans, Anooska (23 August 2009). "Liberating role for shy Romeo". The Sunday Mail. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- "Press Kit". PerformanceAnxietyMovie.com. Retrieved 15 May 2010.
- Partridge, Des (17 May 2008). "Get ready for a gay party". The Courier-Mail. Retrieved 15 May 2010.
- "Luke Mitchell and Carrie Bickmore Win Most Popular New Talent At 2010 Logie Awards". Take 40. 2 May 2010. Retrieved 3 May 2010.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (4 November 2012). "'Home and Away' stars Axle Whitehead, Luke Mitchell leave show". Digital Spy. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- Goodacre, Kate (21 February 2013). "'Home and Away's Luke Mitchell cast in The CW's 'Tomorrow People'". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- Goldberg, Lesley (11 July 2014). "'Tomorrow People's' Luke Mitchell Boards ABC's 'Members Only' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. (Prometheus Global Media). Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (14 May 2012). "'Home and Away' stars Luke Mitchell, Rebecca Breeds engaged". Digital Spy. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- "Issue 21: This week in New Idea". New Idea. 14 May 2012. Retrieved 14 May 2012.
- Moran, Jonathon; Halliwell, Elle (6 January 2013). "Zoe Balbi and Benji Marshall, Rebecca Breeds and Luke Mitchell and Rachael Finch and Michael Miziner wed". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Luke Mitchell.|