|Detroit Tigers – No. 36|
May 10, 1986 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|April 29, 2012 for the Detroit Tigers|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||3.35|
Luke Webber Putkonen (born May 10, 1986) is an American professional baseball pitcher in the Detroit Tigers organization. Prior to playing professionally, Putkonen played college baseball for the North Carolina Tar Heels. He made his Major League Baseball debut in 2012.
High School and College
Putkonen attended Walton High School in Marietta, Georgia. He then enrolled at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he played college baseball for the North Carolina Tar Heels baseball team.
Detroit Tigers (2012-present)
Putkonen made his Major League debut on April 29, 2012, in a relief appearance against the New York Yankees. On May 25, Putkonen was optioned back to Triple-A to make room for Luis Marté, who was activated off the 15-day DL. Putkonen was 0-2 with an 8.59 ERA in 7.1 innings in 6 games.
Putkonen was ejected for the first time in his MLB career on July 11, 2013 after throwing a first-pitch sinker high and inside to White Sox batter Alexei Ramirez immediately following a Josh Phegley grand slam. Putkonen was optioned to Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens on July 31, and later recalled back to the major league on August 28. During a game against the Miami Marlins on September 29, 2013, Putkonen threw a wild pitch in the bottom of the 9th inning with a runner on third base, yielding the Marlins’ winning run which then led to Henderson Álvarez’s no-hitter. Putkonen finished the 2013 season 1-3 with a 3.03 ERA in 30 relief appearances.
Putkonen throws four pitches. He has a four-seam fastball and two-seam fastball at 92-95 mph with good tailing action, a changeup in the mid 80s, and a good curveball in the upper 70s. His four-seamer and curveball are used against right-handers, and his two-seamer and changeup are used against left-handers.
- Rumberg, Howie. "Sabathia pitches 8 strong for Yankees". Associated Press. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- Schmehl, James (May 24, 2012). "Right-hander Luis Marte rejoins Detroit Tigers, Luke Putkonen optioned to Triple-A Toledo". MLive.com.
- "MLB Ejection 091, 092: C Fairchild (3, 4; Putkonen, Leyland)." Close Call Sports/Umpire Ejection Fantasy League. July 11, 2013.
- Detroit Tigers send Jose Alvarez to Triple-A Toledo, recall right-hander Luke Putkonen
- "PITCHf/x Player Card: Luke Putkonen". BrooksBaseball.net. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
|This biographical article relating to an American baseball pitcher born in the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|