October 17, 1984 |
Santa Cruz, California, United States
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13.2 st)|
|Reach||77 in (196 cm)|
|Style||Kickboxing, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, wrestling|
|Fighting out of||San Jose, California|
|Team||American Kickboxing Academy|
|Rank||Brazilian jiu-jitsuBlack belt in|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
|Competitor for United States|
|Men's Submission grappling|
|IBJJF World Jiu-Jitsu Championship|
|Gold||2007 Long Beach||-91.5 kg (Purple; No-Gi)|
|Gold||2007 Long Beach||-94.30 kg (Blue)|
Luke Skyler Rockhold (born October 17, 1984) is an American mixed martial artist. He is a former Strikeforce Middleweight Champion. Rockhold is currently ranked the #8 middleweight in the world by Sherdog.
Luke Rockhold comes from an athletic family. Growing up in Santa Cruz, Luke and his brother, pro surfer Matt Rockhold, surfed their local breaks together. His father, Steve Rockhold, was a professional basketball player in Europe.
Luke started training in judo at 6-years-old but quit upon turning ten. When he entered the seventh grade, he joined his school's wrestling team and stuck with the sport all through high school while taking jiu-jitsu classes.
Rockhold tried wrestling for a local community college but felt the sport wasn't for him, instead he took jiu-jitsu on full-time. After winning a few BJJ tournaments, he decided to look into mixed martial arts. A few of Rockhold's friends convinced him to come down and train with the American Kickboxing Academy and he did.
Mixed martial arts career
In July 2007, Rockhold made his professional debut against Mike Martinez for the Melee on the Mountain promotion. Rockhold dominated the fight and won with an armbar submission, midway in the first round. He had his second fight for the promotion in November 2007. It was not as successful as the first as Rockhold was defeated by Tony Rubalcava via technical knockout.
Up and coming promotion, Strikeforce called and offered Rockhold a fight on their Strikeforce: Young Guns II card. Rockhold looked impressive in his debut, forcing his opponent to submit from punches. Strikeforce, impressed with his performance, decided to give him another fight. The second fight took place on the Strikeforce: Destruction card, where Rockhold won via submission. At Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz, Rockhold won his third consecutive fight.
Rockhold was given a step up in competition when he fought Cory Devela at Strikeforce Challengers: Villasenor vs. Cyborg. Even though he was the underdog, Rockhold won the fight in only 30 seconds with his third rear naked choke submission in a row.
In February 2010, Rockhold defeated another Ultimate Fighter 7 finalist, Paul Bradley, and won via TKO from knees to the body. The fight took place at Strikeforce Challengers: Kaufman vs. Hashi in San Jose, California. With the win, Rockhold hopes to fight against tougher and more well known fighters. Besides the win, Rockhold was announced for the EA Sports MMA video game.
After more than a year and a half hiatus from fighting due to injuries, Rockhold stepped into the cage to fight Strikeforce Middleweight champion Ronaldo Souza on September 10, 2011. He won the fight by a razor-thin unanimous decision to become the new Strikeforce Middleweight champion.
For his first title defense, Rockhold faced Keith Jardine for the Strikeforce Middleweight Championship at Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine on January 7, 2012. Rockhold won the fight via TKO due to punches in the first round.
In his second title defense, Rockhold faced Tim Kennedy in the main event of Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy on July 14, 2012. During the weigh-ins for the bout on July 13, Rockhold came in a half-pound overweight. Rockhold cut the extra weight in the allotted two-hour limit. He successfully defended his title for a second time, winning the fight via unanimous decision.
For his third title defense, Rockhold was expected to face challenger Lorenz Larkin at Strikeforce: Cormier vs. Mir on November 3, 2012 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. However, Rockhold was forced to withdraw from the show due to injury and the event was later cancelled. The fight was rumored to have been rescheduled to take place on January 12, 2013. However, Rockhold never agreed upon the bout citing a lingering shoulder injury.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
In January 2013, the Strikeforce organization was closed by its parent company Zuffa. A list of fighters scheduled to be brought over to the Ultimate Fighting Championship was released in mid-January and Rockhold was one of the fighters listed.
Rockhold faced perennial multi-divisional contender Vitor Belfort on May 18, 2013 in the main event at UFC on FX 8. He lost the fight via knockout in the first round, after being caught with a spinning heel kick to the face.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|12 matches||10 wins||2 losses|
|Loss||10–2||Vitor Belfort||KO (spinning kick and punches)||UFC on FX: Belfort vs. Rockhold||May 18, 2013||1||2:32||Jaraguá do Sul, Brazil|
|Win||10–1||Tim Kennedy||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy||July 14, 2012||5||5:00||Portland, Oregon, United States||Defended the Strikeforce Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||9–1||Keith Jardine||TKO (punches)||Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine||January 7, 2012||1||4:26||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Defended the Strikeforce Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||8–1||Ronaldo Souza||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Kharitonov||September 10, 2011||5||5:00||Cincinnati, Ohio, United States||Won the Strikeforce Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||7–1||Paul Bradley||TKO (knee to the body)||Strikeforce Challengers: Kaufman vs. Hashi||February 26, 2010||1||2:24||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||6–1||Jesse Taylor||Submission (rear naked choke)||Strikeforce Challengers: Gurgel vs. Evangelista||November 6, 2009||1||3:42||Fresno, California, United States|
|Win||5–1||Cory Devela||Submission (rear naked choke)||Strikeforce Challengers: Villasenor vs. Cyborg||June 19, 2009||1||0:30||Kent, Washington, United States|
|Win||4–1||Buck Meredith||Submission (rear naked choke)||Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz||April 11, 2009||1||4:07||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||3–1||Nik Theotikos||Submission (rear naked choke)||Strikeforce: Destruction||November 21, 2008||1||3:06||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||2–1||Josh Neal||Submission (punches)||Strikeforce: Young Guns II||February 1, 2008||1||1:49||San Jose, California, United States|
|Loss||1–1||Tony Rubalcava||TKO (punches)||MotM||November 6, 2007||1||2:46||Friant, California, United States|
|Win||1–0||Mike Martinez||Submission (armbar)||MotM||July 24, 2007||1||2:44||Friant, California, United States|
- "MIXED MARTIAL ARTS SHOW RESULTS - HARD ROCK HOTEL & CASINO, LAS VEGAS". Nevada Athletic Commission. January 7, 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-13.
- "Sherdog's Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings". sherdog.com. March 4, 2013.
- "Exclusive Interview with Strikeforce’s Luke Rockhold in Sacramento Examiner". Retrieved 2010-02-26.
- "Strikeforce Challengers Tonight: Luke Rockhold On The Past, Future and Working With Herschel". Retrieved 2010-02-26.[dead link]
- Michael David Smith. "Luke Rockhold Shows Why He's One of Strikeforce's Top Prospects".
- "Strikeforce middleweight prospect Luke Rockhold latest addition to "EA Sports MMA" roster".
- Mike Chiappetta. "Lindland-Rockhold Match Scratched Due to Injury; Woodley-Galvao Added".
- Strikeforce official for March 5 in Ohio, four main-card bouts set | MMAjunkie.com
- Ronaldo ‘Jacare’ Souza Defends Strikeforce Title Against Luke Rockhold on Sept 10 | MMAWeekly.com
- "Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine". strikeforce.com. 2011-12-08.
- "Luke Rockhold Expected to Face Lorenz Larkin at Strikeforce on Nov 3". MMA Weekly. September 4, 2012.
- Stupp, Dann (2012-10-12). "Strikeforce cancels Nov. 3 event in Oklahoma City, plans January return". MMAjunkie.com.
- "Luke Rockhold-Lorenz Larkin middleweight title fight targeted for Jan. 12 Strikeforce event". MMA Junkie. November 7, 2012.
- "UFC Reveals List of Strikeforce Fighters Making Jump to Octagon". sherdog.com. January 16, 2013.
- "'UFC on FX 8: Belfort vs. Rockhold' set for May 18 in Jaragua do Sul, Brazil". mmajunkie.com. 2013-02-14. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- Staff (2013-07-24). "Tim Boetsch vs. Luke Rockhold slated for UFC 166 in Houston". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- Staff (2013-09-18). "Luke Rockhold out, C.B. Dollaway meets Tim Boetsch at UFC 166". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-18.
- Staff (2013-11-17). "UFC Fight Night 35 in Georgia adds Luke Rockhold-Constantinos Philippou as main event". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-11-17.