October 17, 1984 |
Santa Cruz, California, USA
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13.2 st)|
|Reach||77.0 in (196 cm)|
|Style||Kickboxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Wrestling|
|Fighting out of||San Jose, California, USA|
|Team||American Kickboxing Academy
Farley's Kickboxing Academy
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
|Competitor for United States|
|Men's Submission grappling|
|IBJJF World Jiu-Jitsu Championship|
|2007 Long Beach||-91.5 kg (Purple; No-Gi)|
|2007 Long Beach||-94.30 kg (Blue)|
Luke Skyler Rockhold (born October 17, 1984) is an American mixed martial artist. He is a former Strikeforce Middleweight Champion. As of May 20, 2015, he is #1 in official UFC middleweight rankings and ranked the #4 middleweight in the world by Sherdog.
Rockhold comes from an athletic family. Growing up in Santa Cruz, Luke and his brother, pro surfer Matt Rockhold, surfed their local breaks together. His father, Steve Rockhold, was a professional basketball player in Europe. Rockhold is of partial Irish  and Native American  descent. He has stated that he was a cannabis user as a high school student.
Luke started training in judo at 6-years-old but quit upon turning ten. When he entered the seventh grade, he joined his school's wrestling team and stuck with the sport all through high school while taking jiu-jitsu classes.
Rockhold tried wrestling for a local community college but felt the sport wasn't for him, instead he took jiu-jitsu on full-time. After winning a few BJJ tournaments, he decided to look into mixed martial arts. A few of Rockhold's friends convinced him to come down and train with the American Kickboxing Academy and he did.
Mixed martial arts career
In July 2007, Rockhold made his professional debut against Mike Martinez for the Melee on the Mountain promotion. Rockhold dominated the fight and won with an armbar submission, midway in the first round. He had his second fight for the promotion in November 2007. It was not as successful as the first as Rockhold was defeated by Tony Rubalcava via technical knockout.
Up and coming promotion, Strikeforce called and offered Rockhold a fight on their Strikeforce: Young Guns II card. Rockhold looked impressive in his debut, forcing his opponent to submit from punches. Strikeforce, impressed with his performance, decided to give him another fight. The second fight took place on the Strikeforce: Destruction card, where Rockhold won via submission. At Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz, Rockhold won his third consecutive fight.
Rockhold was given a step up in competition when he fought Cory Devela at Strikeforce Challengers: Villasenor vs. Cyborg. Even though he was the underdog, Rockhold won the fight in only 30 seconds with his third rear naked choke submission in a row.
In February 2010, Rockhold defeated another Ultimate Fighter 7 finalist, Paul Bradley, and won via TKO from knees to the body. The fight took place at Strikeforce Challengers: Kaufman vs. Hashi in San Jose, California. With the win, Rockhold hopes to fight against tougher and more well known fighters. Besides the win, Rockhold was announced for the EA Sports MMA video game.
After more than a year and a half hiatus from fighting due to injuries, Rockhold stepped into the cage to fight Strikeforce Middleweight champion Ronaldo Souza on September 10, 2011. He won the fight via unanimous decision to become the new Strikeforce Middleweight champion.
For his first title defense, Rockhold faced Keith Jardine for the Strikeforce Middleweight Championship at Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine on January 7, 2012. Rockhold won the fight via TKO due to punches in the first round.
In his second title defense, Rockhold faced Tim Kennedy in the main event of Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy on July 14, 2012. During the weigh-ins for the bout on July 13, Rockhold came in a half-pound overweight. Rockhold cut the extra weight in the allotted two-hour limit. He successfully defended his title for a second time, winning the fight via unanimous decision.
For his third title defense, Rockhold was expected to face challenger Lorenz Larkin at Strikeforce: Cormier vs. Mir on November 3, 2012 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. However, Rockhold was forced to withdraw from the show due to injury and the event was later cancelled. The fight was rumored to have been rescheduled to take place on January 12, 2013. However, Rockhold never agreed upon the bout citing a lingering shoulder injury.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
In January 2013, the Strikeforce organization was closed by its parent company Zuffa. A list of fighters scheduled to be brought over to the Ultimate Fighting Championship was released in mid-January and Rockhold was one of the fighters listed.
Rockhold faced perennial multi-divisional contender Vitor Belfort on May 18, 2013 in the main event at UFC on FX 8. He lost the fight via knockout in the first round, after being caught with a spinning heel kick to the face.
Rockhold faced Constantinos Philippou on January 15, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 35. He won via TKO in the first round after dropping Philippou with a kick to the body. The performance also earned Rockhold a $50,000 Knockout of the Night bonus.
Rockhold faced Michael Bisping on November 8, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 55. He won the fight in the second round after dropping Bisping with a head kick and then applying a guillotine choke submission. The win also earned Rockhold his first Performance of the Night bonus award.
Rockhold faced Lyoto Machida on April 18, 2015 at UFC on Fox 15. Rockhold defeated Machida in a one sided fight via submission in the second round. The win also earned Rockhold his second consecutive Performance of the Night bonus award.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|16 matches||14 wins||2 losses|
|Win||14–2||Lyoto Machida||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC on Fox: Machida vs. Rockhold||April 18, 2015||2||2:31||Newark, New Jersey, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||13–2||Michael Bisping||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC Fight Night: Rockhold vs. Bisping||November 8, 2014||2||0:57||Sydney, Australia||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||12–2||Tim Boetsch||Submission (inverted triangle kimura)||UFC 172||April 26, 2014||1||2:08||Baltimore, Maryland, United States|
|Win||11–2||Costas Philippou||TKO (body kick)||UFC Fight Night: Rockhold vs. Philippou||January 15, 2014||1||2:31||Duluth, Georgia, United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Loss||10–2||Vitor Belfort||KO (spinning heel kick and punches)||UFC on FX: Belfort vs. Rockhold||May 18, 2013||1||2:32||Jaraguá do Sul, Brazil|
|Win||10–1||Tim Kennedy||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy||July 14, 2012||5||5:00||Portland, Oregon, United States||Defended the Strikeforce Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||9–1||Keith Jardine||TKO (punches)||Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine||January 7, 2012||1||4:26||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Defended the Strikeforce Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||8–1||Ronaldo Souza||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Kharitonov||September 10, 2011||5||5:00||Cincinnati, Ohio, United States||Won the Strikeforce Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||7–1||Paul Bradley||TKO (knee to the body)||Strikeforce Challengers: Kaufman vs. Hashi||February 26, 2010||1||2:24||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||6–1||Jesse Taylor||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Strikeforce Challengers: Gurgel vs. Evangelista||November 6, 2009||1||3:42||Fresno, California, United States|
|Win||5–1||Cory Devela||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Strikeforce Challengers: Villasenor vs. Cyborg||June 19, 2009||1||0:30||Kent, Washington, United States|
|Win||4–1||Buck Meredith||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz||April 11, 2009||1||4:07||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||3–1||Nik Theotikos||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Strikeforce: Destruction||November 21, 2008||1||3:06||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||2–1||Josh Neal||Submission (punches)||Strikeforce: Young Guns II||February 1, 2008||1||1:49||San Jose, California, United States|
|Loss||1–1||Tony Rubalcava||TKO (punches)||MotM: Melee on the Mountain||November 6, 2007||1||2:46||Friant, California, United States||Light Heavyweight Bout.|
|Win||1–0||Mike Martinez||Submission (armbar)||MotM: Melee on the Mountain||July 24, 2007||1||2:44||Friant, California, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC 172 Jones vs. Teixeira". UFC.com. Retrieved May 3, 2014.
- "Luke Rockhold - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- "MIXED MARTIAL ARTS SHOW RESULTS - HARD ROCK HOTEL & CASINO, LAS VEGAS" (PDF). Nevada Athletic Commission. January 7, 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-13.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Sherdog's Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings". sherdog.com. January 5, 2014.
- Rockhold, Luke (2014-10-25). "Luke Rockhold's verified Twitter account". Retrieved 2014-10-25.
- Rockhold, Luke (2014-10-25). "Luke Rockhold's verified Instagram account". Retrieved 2015-01-28.
- UFC: Luke Rockhold on PED problem & possible remedy, marijuana, full-figured women & more
- How fighter/sculptor Luke Rockhold won a high school art show with a bong
- "Exclusive Interview with Strikeforce’s Luke Rockhold in Sacramento Examiner". Retrieved 2010-02-26.
- "Strikeforce Challengers Tonight: Luke Rockhold On The Past, Future and Working With Herschel". Retrieved 2010-02-26.[dead link]
- Michael David Smith. "Luke Rockhold Shows Why He's One of Strikeforce's Top Prospects".
- "Strikeforce middleweight prospect Luke Rockhold latest addition to "EA Sports MMA" roster".
- Mike Chiappetta. "Lindland-Rockhold Match Scratched Due to Injury; Woodley-Galvao Added".
- Strikeforce official for March 5 in Ohio, four main-card bouts set | MMAjunkie.com
- Ronaldo ‘Jacare’ Souza Defends Strikeforce Title Against Luke Rockhold on Sept 10 | MMAWeekly.com
- Michael David Smith (September 11, 2011). "Luke Rockhold Upsets Jacare for Strikeforce Middleweight Title". MMAFighting.com.
- "Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine". strikeforce.com. 2011-12-08.
- "Luke Rockhold Expected to Face Lorenz Larkin at Strikeforce on Nov 3". MMA Weekly. September 4, 2012.
- Stupp, Dann (2012-10-12). "Strikeforce cancels Nov. 3 event in Oklahoma City, plans January return". MMAjunkie.com.
- "Luke Rockhold-Lorenz Larkin middleweight title fight targeted for Jan. 12 Strikeforce event". MMA Junkie. November 7, 2012.
- "UFC Reveals List of Strikeforce Fighters Making Jump to Octagon". sherdog.com. January 16, 2013.
- "'UFC on FX 8: Belfort vs. Rockhold' set for May 18 in Jaragua do Sul, Brazil". mmajunkie.com. 2013-02-14. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- Joe Rocha (2013-05-18). "Vitor Belfort puts out Luke Rockhold in Brazil". cagedinsider.com. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- Staff (2013-07-24). "Tim Boetsch vs. Luke Rockhold slated for UFC 166 in Houston". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- Staff (2013-09-18). "Luke Rockhold out, C.B. Dollaway meets Tim Boetsch at UFC 166". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-18.
- Staff (2013-11-17). "UFC Fight Night 35 in Georgia adds Luke Rockhold-Constantinos Philippou as main event". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-11-17.
- John Morgan (2014-01-15). "UFC Fight Night 35 results, photos: Luke Rockhold body kick stops Constantinos Philippou in first". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- "UFC Fight Night 35 Bonuses: Rockhold, Miller, Romero, Brunson Earn $50K Awards", by Mike Whitman, Sherdog.com
- Matt Erickson (2014-02-04). "Luke Rockhold vs. Tim Boetsch set for UFC 172 in Baltimore". mmajunkie. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- Josh Sanchez (2014-04-26). "UFC 172 results: Luke Rockhold submits Tim Boetsch in Round 1". fansided.com. Retrieved 2014-04-26.
- Staff (2014-09-05). "Michael Bisping vs. Luke Rockhold set for Nov. 8 in Australia". mmajunkie. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- Steven Muehlhausen (2014-11-08). "UFC Fight Night 55: Luke Rockhold becomes the first man to submit Michael Bisping". sportingnews.com. Retrieved 2014-11-08.
- Staff (2014-11-08). "UFC Fight Night 55 bonuses: Rockhold, Smolka, Whittaker, Hester win $50,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-11-08.
- Ariel Helwani (2015-01-08). "Lyoto Machida vs. Luke Rockhold targeted for UFC on FOX 15". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-01-08.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-04-18). "UFC on FOX 15 results: Luke Rockhold submits Lyoto Machida in dominant performance". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-04-08.
- Karim Kidan (2015-04-18). "UFC on FOX 15 bonuses: Rockhold pockets $50,000 for submission win against Machida". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2015-04-18.
|5th Strikeforce Middleweight Champion
September 10, 2011 – January 12, 2013
Strikeforce banner dissolved into UFC