Summerfield pictured in 2012
|Full name||Luke John Summerfield|
|Date of birth||6 December 1987|
|Place of birth||Ivybridge, England|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Current club||Shrewsbury Town|
|2007||→ Bournemouth (loan)||8||(1)|
|2009||→ Leyton Orient (loan)||14||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17:21, 23 February 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Luke John Summerfield (born 6 December 1987) is an English footballer who plays as a midfielder for Shrewsbury Town. He has played in the Football League for Plymouth Argyle, Bournemouth, Leyton Orient, Cheltenham Town and his present club. His father, Kevin, played for several Football League clubs and then became a coach.
Life and career
Summerfield was born in Ivybridge. He signed a professional contract with Plymouth Argyle, before the start of the 2005–06 season. He made two appearances in his first two seasons for Argyle (both as a substitute), once in the league and once in the League Cup. Summerfield made his debut for Argyle, as a substitute, on 8 May 2005, against Leicester. On his first start for Argyle, against Colchester United in the Football League Championship, on 8 August 2006, during the 2006–07 campaign, Summerfield scored with a long-range volley. In January 2007, Summerfield was listed at number 5 in The Guardian's ten best prospects to watch out for in 2007.
Then Plymouth Argyle manager Ian Holloway said of Summerfield that "I see Luke doing things far beyond his tender years. The boy has a fine touch, he is typical of the talent that Plymouth will produce for the future." On 20 March 2007, Summerfield signed a loan deal with League One side AFC Bournemouth, until the end of the season. On 25 September 2009, Summerfield moved to League One side Leyton Orient on a one-month loan, which was later extended to three months, before he returned to Plymouth on 19 December.
Summerfield joined Shrewsbury Town on trial in July 2011 and played in a friendly against Manchester United, but he was not offered a contract and in August signed a one-year contract with Cheltenham Town. In July 2012, he rejected a new contract with the club
On 3 July 2012 almost a year after his initial trial, Summerfield rejected the contract offer from Cheltenham Town to sign for Shrewsbury Town. He scored his first goal for Shrewsbury in a 3–1 FA Cup defeat versus Hereford United at Edgar Street
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2007). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2007–08. Edinburgh: Mainstream Publishing. p. 391. ISBN 978-1-84596-246-3.
- Rollin, Glenda; Rollin, Jack, eds. (2011). Sky Sports Football Yearbook 2011–2012. London: Headline. p. 514. ISBN 978-0-7553-6231-8.
- Rollin, Glenda; Rollin, Jack, eds. (2012). Sky Sports Football Yearbook 2012–2013. London: Headline. p. 455. ISBN 978-0-7553-6356-8.
- "Luke Summerfield". Plymouth Argyle F.C. Archived from the original on 22 June 2009. Retrieved 21 May 2013.
- "10 to watch in the New Year". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 28 September 2007. Retrieved 7 November 2006.
- "Orient swoop for Summerfield". Sky Sports. 25 September 2009. Retrieved 25 September 2009.
- "Cheltenham Town complete deal for Luke Summerfield". BBC Sport. 4 August 2011. Retrieved 6 August 2011.