Walton with the Lakers in 2008
|Golden State Warriors|
March 28, 1980 |
San Diego, California
|Listed height||6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)|
|Listed weight||235 lb (107 kg)|
|High school||University of San Diego HS
(San Diego, California)
|NBA draft||2003 / Round: 2 / Pick: 32nd overall|
|Selected by the Los Angeles Lakers|
|2003–2012||Los Angeles Lakers|
|2014–present||Golden State Warriors (assistant)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Luke Theodore Walton (born March 28, 1980) is a former professional basketball player who currently works as an assistant coach for the Golden State Warriors. During his stint in the NBA as a player, he played small forward. He was known for being a great defender while playing. After the 2010 NBA Finals, Walton and his father, Hall of Famer Bill Walton, became the first father and son to have both won multiple NBA championships. Bill won in 1977 and 1986, and Luke in 2009 and 2010. His best season statistically was 2006–07 with over 11 points, 5 rebounds, and over 4 assists per game.
The son of former UCLA and NBA standout Bill Walton, Luke Walton was named after his father's close friend and former Portland Trail Blazers teammate Maurice Lucas. He has three brothers — Adam, Nathan and Chris. Nathan ran unsuccessfully for governor during the 2003 California recall. Walton attended University of San Diego High School in San Diego, California, graduating in 1998.
Walton played basketball at the University of Arizona under coach Lute Olson. His best year statistically was as a junior, when he averaged 15.7 points, 7.3 rebounds, 6.3 assists, 1.6 steals and 0.6 blocks per game. During his senior year he averaged 10.8 points, 5.6 rebounds, 5.1 assists and 0.9 steals per game.
Walton graduated from Arizona in the spring of 2003 after completing work in family studies and human development.
In 2006–07, Walton had his best year in the NBA. He scored a career-high 25 points against the Atlanta Hawks on December 8, 2006. For the season he posted career-high per-game averages in minutes, field goal percentage, steals, blocks, rebounds, assists and points. His Player Efficiency Rating (PER) also reached a career high. Following the season, on July 12, 2007, Walton was signed by the Lakers to a 6-year, $30 million contract. The Lakers won two NBA championships during Walton's time with the team. On March 15, 2012, Walton was traded along with Jason Kapono and a 2012 first-round draft choice to the Cleveland Cavaliers for Ramon Sessions and Christian Eyenga.
Walton's first coaching experience was with the University of Memphis, which hired Walton as an assistant coach during the 2011 NBA lockout. Hired August 22, 2011, his employment there lasted for the duration of the lockout.
The following year Walton became an assistant coach for the Golden State Warriors. Said Walton, “We are gonna run parts of the triangle offense, and I know that thing front and back." Walton joined the Warrior staff July 3, 2014.
On his right arm, there is a tattoo of four Grateful Dead-type dancing skeletons, each one with a basketball; the skeletons represent Luke and his three brothers.
In December 2008, a woman named Stacy Elizabeth Beshear pleaded no contest to charges of stalking Walton. At one point, she pulled up to Walton's car and "pretended to fire gunshots at him with her hand." She was sentenced to three years' probation, told to attend weekly counseling sessions for a year and ordered to stay away for three years from Walton's home and from the Lakers' games and practices.
On August 17, 2013 Walton married long time girlfriend Bre Ladd. The two had met at the Univeristy of Arizona, where the 6'1" Ladd was a standout middleblocker on the university's volleyball team.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- "Warriors Announce Steve Kerr's Coaching Staff". Golden State Warriors. 3 July 2014.
- Tomasson, Chris (2010-06-15). "Bill Walton "I'm Back In The Game Of Life"". NBA.FanHouse.com. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- Walton to stay with Lakers after agreeing to 6-year, $30 million deal
- "Cavaliers Acquire 2012 First Round Pick, Kapono, Walton and Right To Swap 2013 First Round Picks From Lakers". NBA.com. 2012-03-15. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- Pastner Recommends Luke Walton For Tigers Hoops Assistant Coach Position
- Luke Walton hired as player development coach in D-League
- Pincus, Eric (October 3, 2013). "Byron Scott and Luke Walton join TWC SportsNet broadcast team". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on May 15, 2014.
- SignOnSanDiego.com > Sports – Walton to make acting debut on 'Young and Restless'
- Winton, Richard. (2008-12-19) Luke Walton's stalker pleads no contest, sentenced to probation The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- Bell, Diane (16 August 2013). "NBA's Luke Walton to marry Saturday in Aspen, Colo.". UT San Diego. Retrieved 2015-04-29.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Luke Walton.|
- Career statistics and player information from Basketball-Reference.com