Luleå University of Technology
|Luleå University of Technology|
|Luleå tekniska universitet|
Luleå University of Technology or Luleå tekniska universitet of Sweden is Scandinavia's northernmost university of technology. It has four campuses, located in Luleå (the main campus), Kiruna (space science), Skellefteå (wood technology and computer game engineering) and Piteå (Department of music and media).
The university was founded on 1 June 1971 at Porsön in Luleå as Högskoleenheten i Luleå. The name was later changed to Högskolan i Luleå (Luleå University College). In 1997, it was granted university status by the Swedish government, and is since known as Luleå University of Technology.
In 1977 it was merged with the older Teacher's Training College of Luleå and a year later Piteå School of Music (Musikhögskolan i Piteå) was created.
LTU offers 17 Master programs that include programs in Civil Engineering, Climate Sensitive Urban Planning and Building, Wood Technology, Spacecraft Design along with other programs.
As of 2005, there are three students' unions at the university, Teknologkåren vid Luleå tekniska universitet (the Student Association of Engineering at Luleå University of Technology) for students studying towards an engineering or other degree within the field of technology, Piteå Studentkår (the Students' Union in Piteå) and Luleå studentkår (Luleå Students' Union) for most other students.
The unions are divided into sections, each responsible for a somewhat arbitrary number of academic programmes. They are run by a board of eight to ten students for no profit.
Luleå Student Union has the following sections:
- SNS or Statsvetar- och Nationalekonomsektionen for political science and economics
- Pedagogsektionen for teacher education
- SySek or Systemvetarsektionen for systems science
- EkSek or Ekonomsektionen i Luleå for business administration
- PuSS or Psykologi- und Sociologisektionen for psychiatry and sociology
- JF or Juridiska Föreningen for jurisprudence
- BofS or Bodens Förenade Studenter for students in Boden
- LEKIS or Lärare och Ekonomer i Skellefteå for teaching and business students in Skellefteå
The Student Association of Engineering has the following sections:
- Datasektionen for computer science, space engineering, engineering physics and some other areas
- Geosektionen for civil engineering, geotechnical engineering, chemical engineering, environmental engineering and many other programmes
- Industriell managementsektionen for Industrial Management and Engineering
- Kirunasektionen for students in Kiruna
- Maskinteknologsektionen for mechanical engineering and related programmes
- Skellefteå teknologsektion for engineering students in Skellefteå
- Doktoranderna for PhD students
- Philm, Student Cinema
- LUDD, Luleå Academic Computer Society
- Luhrarne, Student Orchestra
- Snapsakademien, Men's Choir
- Mikael Degermark, main author of the Luleå algorithm (named after the University)
- Ulf Henriksson, MSc, Senior Advisor Texas Pacific Group, former CEO of Invensys
- Eva Karlsson, MSc, CEO SKF Sweden
- David Pagels, MSc, CEO Dellner Couplers
- Lars-Eric Aaro, MSc, President and CEO of LKAB, a Swedish high-tech minerals group
- Peter Carlsson, MSc, Vice President and head of Supply Chain at Tesla Motors
- Tomas Bergendahl, MSc, Senior Vice President and CFO Volvo Aero
- Stina Honkamaa, CEO of United Screens, former country Director Google Sweden
- Malin Frenning, MSc, Sweden's most powerful woman by Veckans Affärer 2011
- Daniel Mühlbach, MSc, Founder and CEO of Lensway
- Adam Dunkels, Ph.D, SICS
- Esther Jennings, Ph.D, JPL
- Gunnar Axheimer, MSc, CEO, Vattenfall Hydropower AB
- Elisabeth Nilsson, MSc, Governor of Östergötland
- Per Ohlstrom, MSc, Vice President Xylem Inc USA
- Tobias Lindström, MSc, Founder & CEO Student Consulting
- Per Ödling, MSc, PhD, One of the founders of the VDSL modems
- Peter Parnes, MSc, PhD, Co-founder of Marratech, sold to Google.
- Energetically modified cement
- Umeå Institute of Technology
- List of universities in Sweden
- List of forestry universities and colleges
Notes and references
- "Phd LTU (Swedish)". LTU. Retrieved August 17, 2014.
- Teknologkåren vid Luleå tekniska universitet - Hem
- PiSk - Piteå Studentkår
- Luleå Studentkår
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Luleå tekniska universitet.|