Luna is a third class municipality in the province of Apayao, Philippines. Its former name was Macatel, changed to Luna by the town's founding father, the Ilocano explorer Antonino Barroga from Dingras, Ilocos Norte. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 18,029 people.
Luna is politically subdivided into 22 barangays.
- San Francisco
- San Isidro Norte
- San Sebastian
- Santa Lina
- San Gregorio
- San Isidro Sur
|Population census of Luna
|Source: National Statistics Office
Famous People from Luna Apayao
- Dr. Charlene Fontanilla Barroga - world-class cancer research scientist; inventor 
- Engr. Marcos Calvez - first high school senior in the nation to hit a perfect score on the Mariano Marcos State University College Freshman Admission Test
- Atty. Jose Barroga - former provincial board member of Kalinga-Apayao
- Atty. Eubolo G. Verzola - Court of Appeals Associate Justice
- Engr. Esteban Bayani, Jr. TOP 3, 2006 Geodetic Engineers LIcensure Examinations, Philippines.
- Maylah Haylee Ballesteros, Ll.B. - three-term provincial board member of Apayao
- Betty C. Verzola - multiple awardee as best municipal mayor of the Philippines and upgraded Luna as third-class municipality
- Ambros Ambros- writer for Bannawag, a national Ilocano magazine
- Celestino Baria - built a family house in Poblacion used as a Japanese garrison in World War II and made as a historical attraction today
- Dr. Edlyn Roc Narag - Outstanding Faculty awardee on September 23, 2008 from the Cagayan Colleges Tuguegarao. Outstanding Faculty awardee on September 23, 2008 from the Cagayan Colleges.
- ^ "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 11 September 2013. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- ^ a b "Province: APAYAO". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- ^ a b c "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- ^ Belarde, Sonia; Ronald Ocampo (2010-02-05). "Municipal Background of Luna, The Show Window of Apayao". d' lunanians: The Official Site of the Municipality of Luna Apayao. Retrieved 2010-02-16.
- ^ Benowitz, Steve (2009-02-17). "Scientists uncover indicator that warns leukemia is progressing to more dangerous form". UC News (University of California). Retrieved 2010-02-15.
- ^ Hood, John; Charlene F Barroga (2009-11-19). "Methods for Identifying Compounds that Affect Expression of Cancer-Related Protein Isoforms". Patentdocs: stay tuned to the technology (Internet FAQ Archives). Retrieved 2010-02-15.
- ^ Court of Appeals Associate Justice
- ^ Writer for Bannawag, a national Ilocano magazine
Articles Related to Luna, Apayao