|Birth name||Guadalupe Rivera Saavedra|
|Also known as||El Toro|
30 January 1972 |
Long Beach, California
|Associated acts||Jenni Rivera|
Rivera wanted to be a restaurant owner. His father Pedro Rivera, however, was a recording label/studio owner (Cintas Acuario). Wanting to give his son a hands-on business experience, Mr. Rivera hired his son Lupillo to work at the studio when a contracted singer failed to show up for a recording session. Lupillo was given the task of looking for local talent at bars, with the idea that some of that talent could be signed by his father's company. When Lupillo first started singing he was called "El Torito" Lupillo Rivera. Later when becoming more famous he was known as "El Toro del Corrido". Lupillo's uncle was a semi-famous professional boxer, known as El Toro Rivera to Mexican boxing fans. By 1999, Lupillo began to sing using his own name [Lupillo]. By then, he had already signed with Sony Discos. His star began to rise meteorically at that point. In 2001, he was awarded a Premios lo Nuestro.
In Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua, while he was driving to a concert location, his SUV overturned. He required hospitalization. Months later, Adán Sánchez, a years-long friend who had grown to admire and become like a little brother to Lupillo, died at the age of nineteen in another car accident, leaving Lupillo Rivera devastated. In 2004, a Marine who died in Iraq had requested for Lupillo to sing at his funeral should he die, and Lupillo complied with the request, leaving one of his famous sombreros on the Marine's burial casket during the funeral. On December 11, 2006, after leaving a restaurant around 1 am in Guadalajara, Jalisco, his SUV was shot seven times. It is not known if the shooting was an attempted murder or kidnapping or just robbery.
Lupillo's brother Pedro Rivera Jr. is a Spanish-language Christian singer and ordained pastor of the Southern Baptist Church. The name of the church is Primer Amor located in Whittier, California. it is a Spanish-speaking service.
On August 8, 2008, he had a son. On June 21, Lupillo Rivera and his two young children appeared on the Spanish talk-show Cristina, and he told Cristina that he has Eight children, seven of them biologically his and one that he has adopted. He has one child out of marriage.His second Son.
On December 9, 2012, Lupillo's sister Jenni Rivera died in an airplane crash at the age of 43.
- 1995: - Selena, La Estrella
- 1999: - El Moreno
- 1999: - Puros Corridos Macizos
- 2000: - El Toro de Corridos
- 2001: - El Señor de los Cielos
- 2001: - Y Sigue La Vendimia
- 2001: - Gabino Barrera - Cartel De Tijuana
- 2001: - Veinte Mujeres
- 2001: - Despreciado
- 2001: - Sufriendo a Solas
- 2002: - Amorcito Corazón
- 2002: - Los Hermanos Más Buscados
- 2003: - De Bohemia Con Lupillo Rivera
- 2004: - Con Mis Propias Manos
- 2004: - Pa' Corridos
- 2005: - El Rey de Las Cantinas
- 2006: - Entre Copas y Botellas
- 2007: - Mi Homenaje a Pedro Infante
- 2007: - Desde Una Fiesta Privada
- 2008: - En Acústico
- 2008: - Tiro de Gracia
- 2009: - Esclavo Y Amo
- 2010: - 24 Horas
- Wald, Elijah (2002-10-22). Narcocorrido: a journey into the music of drugs, guns, and guerrillas. HarperCollins. pp. 154–. ISBN 978-0-06-050510-3. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- Candelaria, Cordelia; García, Peter J.; Aldama, Arturo J. (2004). Encyclopedia of Latino popular culture. Greenwood Publishing Group. pp. 582–. ISBN 978-0-313-33211-1. Retrieved 14 June 2011.