(Lurkomorye – Луркоморье)
Type of site
|internet subculture and meme wiki|
|Launched||July 30, 2007|
|2,517 (April 2014[update])|
Lurkmore or Lurkomorye (Russian: Луркоморье, a portmanteau of Lukomorye and the English online slang "lurk moar") is an informal Russian-language MediaWiki-powered online encyclopedia focusing on Internet subcultures, folklore, and memes. As of December 1, 2013, Lurkmore contains 6458 articles. It is one of the most popular humor—as well as internet-meme-related—websites of the Russian Internet.
Content and style
Lurkmore was started as a knowledge base of Internet memes centered on 2ch.ru, the first popular Russian-language imageboard. With time, the project evolved to encompass the broader Runet subculture. It has been called an "informal encyclopedia" about everything. Currently, Lurkmore comprises a wide range of articles, but a very considerable share of them is still about the Internet culture.
Lurkmore articles use a distinctive style, distinguishing themselves with a general informality, semiseriousness, sarcasm, the free use of foul language, and impudence, as well as by sharp criticism of the shortcomings of the considered phenomena. The articles are also characterized by a specific slang—"lurkoyaz" (луркояз)—consisting of Internet slang, assorted words used by padonki and Kashchenists, as well as Lurkmore's own neologisms.
Rules and policies
Our rules are very simple and comprehensible.
Fleeting block in Russia
On 11 November 2012, the IP address of Lurkmore.to was added to the Russian Internet blacklist by decision of the Russian Federal Surveillance Service for Mass Media and Communications, making it inaccessible from most Russian ISPs. A Lurkmore.to owner told journalists that he had not received any communication from Roskomnadzor or the Federal Drug Control Service of Russia before the IP address was blacklisted. Lurkmore.to was removed from the blacklist on 13 November 2012 after the website administrators deleted two marijuana-related articles.
- Finalist of the 2008 ROTOR competition in the humor site of the year category.
- Winner of the 2009 ROTOR competition in the humor site of the year category.
- Winner of the 2011 AntiROTOR competition.
- Winner of the 2012 ROTOR competition in the archive site of the year category.
- Winner of four 2012 AntiRotor nominations.
- Winner of the Golden Joker prize, ceremony organized by a humoristic magazine Maxim.
- oal (2007-07-30). Если Вы ещё не в курсе… [If you are still not up to date…] (in Russian). Livejournal. Retrieved 2009-04-28.
- aalien (2007-07-31). "lurk moar, Luke!" (in Russian). Livejournal. Retrieved 2009-04-28.
- "Lurkmore.to Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "Lurkmore: Описание" [Lurkmore: Description] (in Russian). Lurkmore.ru. Retrieved 2009-04-18.
- "Statistics" (in Russian). lurkmore.ru. Retrieved 2010-12-09.
- "RE: lurkmore.ru" (in Russian). PC Magazine. 3 November 2008. Retrieved 2010-02-11.
- Яндекс:Каталог: Энциклопедии [Yandex Catalog: Encyclopedias] (in Russian). Яндекс.Каталог. Retrieved 2010-12-09.
- "Lurkmore: Правила" [Lurkmore: Rules] (in Russian). lurkmore.to. Retrieved 2010-07-31.
- "Russian Internet encyclopedia blacklisted". Russian Legal Information Agency (RAPSI). 12 November 2014. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- Интернет-энциклопедию «Луркоморье» внесли в реестр запрещенных сайтов [The "Lurkmore" Internet encyclopedia has been added to the register of prohibited websites]. Lenta.Ru (in Russian). 11 November 2012. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- Черные списки не работают: «Луркморье» уехало на острова королевства Тонга [Blacklists don't work: Lurkmore has moved to the Tonga islands] (in Russian). 12 November 2012. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- ""Закрыть можно что угодно по произвольному набору критериев" Владелец Lurkmore о блокировке сайта" [Anything can be banned using an arbitrary set of criteria. The owner of Lurkmore talks about the website being blocked] (in Russian). Afisha. 12 November 2012. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- Луркоморье исключили из реестра запрещенных сайтов [Lurkmore has been removed from the register of prohibited websites] (in Russian). Lenta.Ru. 13 November 2012. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- "РОТОР 2008: 21. Юмористический сайт года". EzhE Movement. Retrieved 2009-04-18.
- "РОТОР 2009: 21. Юмористический сайт года". EzhE Movement. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- РОТОР 2012 (in Russian). Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- "The full list (in Russian)". Maximonline.ru. Retrieved 2013-09-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lurkmore.|