Lux Mundi (statue)
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (July 2013)|
|Year||September 30, 2012 |
|Type||Polymer composite, steel|
Lux Mundi (Latin for "Light of the World") is a 15.8 meter (52 ft) tall statue of Jesus at Solid Rock Church, a Christian nondenominational church near Monroe, Ohio, in the United States. Designed by Tom Tsuchiya, Lux Mundi replaced the statue King of Kings which was struck by lightning and razed on June 15, 2010.
The statue shows Jesus stepping forward with a welcoming gesture, a pose inspired by the Gospels of St. Matthew and St. John. Facing I-75, the statue will stand on a foundation decorated by rocks with a cascading water feature. For inspiration for the statue’s design, Tsuchiya translated parts of the surviving Greek texts of the Gospels. Using two themes drawn from the texts: αγάπη (“affectionate love”) and εξουσία (“authority”), Tsuchiya designed Jesus stepping forward with his arms in an embracing pose.
Because of its pose and inviting quality, Lux Mundi has earned the nickname “Hug Me Jesus”.
The polymer composite and steel sculpture is mainly fabricated by Display Dynamics of Clayton, Ohio. Since the original statue at Solid Rock Church was destroyed by fire, the new statue incorporates fire resistant materials including a lightning suppression system. Following several months of work, the major pieces of the statue were assembled together at the site on September 19, 2012. Lux Mundi was completed in time for its dedication on September 30, 2012.
- Divine Mercy Shrine (Misamis Oriental) (50 ft statue)
- List of statues by height
- List of the tallest statues in the United States
- McCrabb, Rick (19 September 2012). "Giant Jesus landmark returns to I-75". Dayton Daily News. Retrieved 20 September 2012.
- "Construction progressing on new Jesus statue along I-75". WCPO. June 15, 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- Maag, Chris (2005-11-18). "Giant Jesus statue keeps watch over Ohio interstate". New York Times.
- Vaccariello, Linda. Rock Solid Sculptor, p. 20. Cincinnati Magazine.
- "Work to Resume on Jesus Statue at Solid Rock Church". Dayton Daily News. April 4, 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "About Lux Mundi, the Sculpture of Jesus at Solid Rock Church". Tom Tsuchiya. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- "Ohio town ready to welcome Jesus with open arms". USA Today. August 16, 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- "Sneak Peak of Solid Rock Church's New Statue of Jesus". FOX 45. June 22, 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "52 foot Jesus replaces predecessor". Cincinnati.com. 2012-09-19. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- "Jesus: He’s Back! And he wants a Hug!". CNN.com. 2012-09-19. Retrieved 2012-09-26.