Luxembourg Tennis Federation
|Fédération Luxembourgeoise de Tennis
|Founded||May 14, 1946|
|Affiliation||International Tennis Federation|
|Regional affiliation||Tennis Europe|
|Headquarters||Bvd Hubert Clement, Esch-sur-Alzette|
Tennis in Luxembourg
Tennis is a popular sport, as it is across western Europe. There are 53 tennis clubs in the country, the oldest of which (TC Diekirch) was founded in 1902. The governing body is the Luxembourg Tennis Federation. The Fortis Championships Luxembourg are held in Luxembourg each year, and are ranked as a Tier III tournament on the WTA Tour.
Luxembourgers have had little success in professional tennis. Gilles Müller, considered the best men's player the country has ever produced, reached the quarter-finals of the 2008 U.S. Open. Women's players that have reached the top fifty include Anne Kremer (18th) and Claudine Schaul (41st).
List of presidents
- Alex Servais (1946–1948)
- Georges Reuter (1949–1962)
- Géza Wertheim (1963–1965)
- Frantz Think (1966–1968)
- Josy Dunkel (1969–1972)
- Georges Weyrich (1973–1978)
- Georges Logelin (1979–1986)
- Michel Wolter (1987–1993)
- Paul Helminger (1994–2003)
- Yves Kemp (2003 - 2013)
- Claude Lamberty (2013 - )
- "Statuts de la FLT". Retrieved 2011-02-10.
- "The board of directors of the FLT". Retrieved 2011-02-10.
- Lanzenberg, Gregory (1 September 2008). "Luxembourg's best ever: Muller lights up US Open as he battles through to last 16". Sportingo. Retrieved 2008-09-04.