|District||Kampala Capital City Authority|
|Elevation||3,740 ft (1,140 m)|
Luzira is a suburb of Kampala, the capital of Uganda. It is best known for the country's main prison, Luzira Maximum Security Prison, which has seen significant redevelopment thanks to the work of African Prisons Project, a charity based in the UK and Kampala.
Luzira lies in Nakawa Division, one of the five administrative divisions of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. It is located approximately 11.5 kilometres (7.1 mi), by road, southeast of the central business district of Kampala. It is bordered by Butabika to the north, Mutungo and Kitintale to the northwest, Mpanga to the west, Port Bell to the south and an inlet of Lake Victoria to the east.The coordinates of Luzira are:00 18 00N, 32 39 22E.(Latitude:0.3000; Longitude:32.6560).
Luzira is the name that the indigenous Baganda use to refer to the general neighborhood. Port Bell is the area where the landing pier is situated, at the tip of the peninsular into Lake Victoria, in the most southern part of the general Luzira neighborhood. Mpanga is the location of Uganda's maximum security prison, located in the western part of the general Luzira neighbourhood. The central part of Luzira is mainly an industrial park, where most of the factories are located. The eastern part of Luzira township is mainly a middle-class residential neighborhood. Prehistoric artifacts dating back to around 1000 AD, have been uncovered at the site where the maximum security prison is located. This includes the famous Luzira Head, which can be found in the British Museum.
The exact population of Luzira is unknown. The Luzira Maximum Security Prison houses an estimated 20,000 inmates, including about 500 on death row.
The landmarks within or near Luzira township include:
- Luzira Maximum Security Prison - Has a capacity of 20,000 inmates including about 500 on death row
- Uganda Breweries Limited - A division of East African Breweries and maker of Uganda Waragi, a potent Ugandan triple-distilled gin.
- Quality Chemical Industries Limited ARV Factory - The US$40 million factory is the only one in sub-Saharan Africa that manufactures triple ARV therapy medication.
- Port Bell - The port, located on the shores of Lake Nalubaale, handles both passenger and cargo traffic destined for Kisumu, Kenya and Mwanza and Musoma in Tanzania.
- Butabika National Referral Hospital - Uganda's national psychiatric referral hospital with bed capacity of 900.
- Map Showing Kampala And Luzira With Distance Marker
- Luzira Prison is An Archeological Site
- British Museum Collection