|Lyceum of the Philippines University|
|Joined||ISAA - 2009-2010
NCAA - 2011
|Location||Lyceum of the Philippines University - Manila Main Campus (Intramuros, Manila)
|Team colors||Gray and International Red|
|Juniors' team||Junior Pirates|
|Women's team||Lady Pirates|
|Seniors' general championships|
|Juniors' general championships|
The Lyceum Pirates is the name of the collegiate men's varsity basketball team of the Lyceum of the Philippines University that plays in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (Philippines), the premiere athletic league in the country. The collegiate women's varsity basketball team is called the Lady Pirates which plays in the Women's National Collegiate Athletic Association (Philippines) (WNCAA) while the high school varsity basketball team is called the Junior Pirates from the Cavite Branch. Lyceum is a founding member of the Inter-Scholastic Athletic Association (ISAA), where they are a two time defending champions. But they left the league to be a Guest team in NCAA Season 87.
The Lyceum of the Philippines University became the tenth NCAA team after the league accepted Lyceum as a guest team for the 87 season. Management Committee (MANCOM) chair Mike del Mundo announced that Lyceum completed all of the necessary requirements, including the existence of a high school department. The nonexistence of a high school department two years ago prevented Lyceum from being a guest team; its high school campus in Cavite was accepted and the Lyceum Pirates will field in teams in the mandatory sports. Lyceum paid the league 1.5 million pesos to play in the basketball event, and additional P500,000,000 bond, as they will have to pay additional fees to play in other events. The Pirates, as a guest team, are eligible to win the championship.
In their very first game in the NCAA, they played against the CSB Blazers in which they won 75-63. In their second game they won against the season host the UPHSD Altas 93-87. But after winning their first two games, they went on to lose their next two assignments against the defending champions, the San Beda Red Lions 69-89 and the EAC Generals 67-73. after that two consecutive loss they went back on the winning track by winning against their Intramuros neighbors Mapúa Cardinals and the Arellano Chiefs, 76-73 and 84-74, respectively. But after that they went on losing their next three games against the last season's runner-up San Sebastian Stags 57-82, their Intramuros counterpart Letran Knights 89-92 and against the JRU Heavy Bombers 68-74. But on the start of the second round they got their revenge against the Heavy Bombers and win by a score of 71-65. After winning their first assignment in the second round they on a losing track once again and loss their next two games against the Cardinals, 59-80. They also lost against the Altas on the second round with a score of 73-78.
The greatest record of the Lyceum Pirates in men's basketball is 8-10 (NCAA Season 89), topping their personal record; 7-11 when they joined the NCAA on 2011.
Lyceum together with FEATI University, Manila Doctors College, Southville International School and Colleges, Manila Adventist Medical Center and Colleges and La Consolacion College formed the Inter-Scholastic Athletic Association (ISAA) back in 2009. They eventually became the basketball champions both men's and women's up until the 2010 season. After the 2010 season they left the league to pursue their dreams in the NCAA.
In the WNCAA they are back-to-back champions in 2010 and 2011 respectively. Right now they are On-leave due to some reasons.
Lyceum Pirates Basketball Team
Lyceum Pirates roster
The LPU Junior Pirates Basketball Team Roster
|No.||Name||Position||Height||Playing Year||HS Year||Grade School|
|4||Heyward Joseph Ave|
|6||Kent Richmond A. Pere|
|10||Jorge Martin G. Romanes|
|15||John Reynhold A. Menil|
|17||Generoso E. Cecilio Jr.|
|18||Alvin Troy B. Tropicales|
|John Carl F. Berroya|
|Marc Kenneth N. Castañeda|
|James F. Fajardo|
|Danilo Carl Licerio|
|12||John Justin Salva Moreno||SG||5'8||2||4th Year||Immaculate Concepcion Academy|
|14||Denis Renzo B. Nuyda||Bulacan Standard Academy|
|Lenard G. Soriano|
|Joshua M. Taladua|
- Ato Agustin - Former coach of San Sebastian Stags. Current coach of Petron Blaze Boosters in the PBA. He is 1991 PBA Most Improved Player, 1991 PBA Mythical Second Team, 1992 PBA Most Valuable Player, 1992 PBA Mythical First Team, 1993 PBA Mythical First Team, 1994 PBA Mythical First Team, 2000 PBA Comeback Player of the Year, 2010 NCAA Coach of the Year, 2011 PBA Governors Cup Champion (as a coach) and one of the PBA's 25 Greatest Players.
- Leo Austria - Retired Filipino professional basketball player and former head coach of the Welcoat Dragons and the Shell Turbo Chargers in the Philippine Basketball Association. He is also the 1985 PBA Rookie of the Year. He later became the head coach of Chowking, Shark Energy Drink, and Welcoat/Rain or Shine in the Philippine Basketball League. He is currently the head coach of the Adamson Falcons. 1984, Most Valuable Player of the Ambassador's Cup.
- Gary David - Currently playing for the Powerade Tigers in the Philippine Basketball Association. 2-Time PBA All-Star (2007, 2009), 2006-07 PBA Sportsmanship Award, 2006-07 PBA Mythical First Team, 2006-07 PBA Most Improved Player, 2006-07 PBA Comeback Player of the Year, 2006-07 PBA All-Defensive First Team and 2003 PBL Most Valuable Player.
- Chico Lanete - Currently playing for the Meralco Bolts in the Philippine Basketball Association. 2007-08 PBA All-Rookie Team.
- Andrei Mendoza - Currently playing for Letran Knights.
- Joey Mente - Former professional basketball player in the Philippine Basketball Association who played for the San Miguel Beermen and Welcoat Dragons. 2001 PBA Slam Dunk Champion