Lynchburg Regional Airport
|Lynchburg Regional Airport
Preston Glenn Field
Airport main signage, off U.S. 29
|IATA: LYH – ICAO: KLYH – FAA LID: LYH|
|Owner||City of Lynchburg|
|Elevation AMSL||938 ft / 286 m|
Lynchburg Regional Airport (IATA: LYH, ICAO: KLYH, FAA LID: LYH), also known as Preston Glenn Field, is a public use airport in Campbell County, Virginia, United States. It is located at intersection of Route 29 South and Route 460, five nautical miles (6 mi, 9 km) southwest of the central business district of the City of Lynchburg, which owns the airport. Originally known as Preston Glenn Airport, it was named for Lt. Preston Glenn, a Lynchburg native who died while serving in World War I as an Army Air Corps pilot. Mostly used for general aviation, the airport is also served by commercial airline US Airways, with modern Dash 8 turboprops and Canadair Regional Jet aircraft.
This airport is included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015, which categorized it as a primary commercial service facility. As per Federal Aviation Administration records, the airport had 55,307 passenger boardings (enplanements) in calendar year 2008, 86,366 enplanements in 2009, and 93,772 in 2010.
Facilities and aircraft
Lynchburg Regional Airport covers an area of 872 acres (353 ha) at an elevation of 938 feet (286 m) above mean sea level. It has two asphalt paved runways: 4/22 is 7,100 by 150 feet (2,164 x 46 m) and 17/35 is 3,386 by 75 feet (1,032 x 23 m).
The new extended runway opened on August 12, 2007. It was extended by 1,301 feet (397 m) from 5,799 feet (1,768 m) to 7,100 feet (2,200 m).
For the 12-month period ending February 28, 2011, the airport had 85,974 aircraft operations, an average of 235 per day: 91% general aviation, 7% air taxi, and 2% military. At that time there were 77 aircraft based at this airport: 74% single-engine, 12% multi-engine, 8% jet, 5% helicopter, and 1% ultralight.
Airlines and destination
The following airlines offer scheduled passenger service:
|US Airways Express||Charlotte|
- FAA Airport Master Record for LYH ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective May 31, 2012.
- "IATA Airport Code Search (LYH: Lynchburg / Preston-Glenn Field)". International Air Transport Association. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- "Lynchburg Regional Airport". City of Lynchburg. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF, 2.03 MB). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010.
- "Enplanements for CY 2008" (PDF, 1.0 MB). CY 2008 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. December 18, 2009.
- "Enplanements for CY 2010" (PDF, 189 KB). CY 2010 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2011.
- Dumond, Chris (August 12, 2007). "Airport runway to open Sunday". The Lynchburg News Advance.
- Lynchburg Regional Airport at City of Lynchburg website
- Aerial image as of April 1994 from USGS The National Map
- (PDF), effective January 8, 2015
- FAA Terminal Procedures for LYH, effective January 8, 2015
- Resources for this airport: