Lyndall Ryan (born 1943) is an Australian academic. She has held positions in Australian Studies and Women's Studies at Griffith University and Flinders University and was Foundation Professor of Australian Studies and Head of School of Humanities at the University of Newcastle, 1998-2005. She is currently Research Professor in the Centre for the History of Violence in the Humanities Research Institute at the University of Newcastle. She completed a PhD at Macquarie University in 1975, her thesis was titled "Aborigines in Tasmania, 1800-1974 and their problems with the Europeans".
Her book The Aboriginal Tasmanians, first published in 1981 presented a critical interpretation the early history of relations between Tasmanian Aborigines and white settlers in Tasmania. She was paid by Allen and Unwin to revise this book but despite accepting the payment failed to do so. Her work was later attacked by Keith Windschuttle, thus drawing her into the History wars. Windschuttle pointed to discrepancies between Ryan's claims, her cited sources for the claims, and what the cited sources for the claims and the historical record actually reported. Ryan admitted that her footnotes were inadequate but claimed that she had refuted Windschuttle's allegations in her book, Tasmanian Aborigines A history since 1803, published in 2012.
- Tasmanian Aborigines: A history since 1803, 2012, ISBN 978-1-74237-068-2
- The Aboriginal Tasmanians, 1981, ISBN 0-7022-1903-7 (pbk) ISBN 0-7022-1544-9 and 2nd ed, 1996, ISBN 1-86373-965-3
- Susan Magarey and Lyndall Ryan, Bibliography of Australian women's history, 1990.
- Susan Sheridan with Barbara Baird, Kate Borrett and Lyndall Ryan, Who was that woman?: the Australian Women's Weekly in the postwar years, 2001 ISBN 0-86840-618-X
- Philip G. Dwyer and Lyndall Ryan eds., 'Theatres of Violence Massacre, Mass Killing and Atrocity throughout History', 2012 ISBN 978-0-85745-299-3
- Lyndall Ryan introduction at the Australian Public Intellectual Network
- Professor Lyndall Ryan page at the University of Newcastle
- Lyndall Ryan, Australian Women Biographical entry
- Keith Windschuttle, "Postmodernism and the Fabrication of Aboriginal History"
|This biographical article about an Australian historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|