Lynn M. Bowles is a British radio traffic reporter and can currently be heard relaying the latest traffic news on a half hourly basis on the BBC Radio 2 morning shows presented by Chris Evans and Ken Bruce.
Bowles was born in Cardiff, Wales, and is the youngest of three siblings. Her father, Cliff, was a marine engineer; her mother, Josephine, was born in Monmouth but moved to Rumney in Cardiff.
She graduated from university with a BA (Hons) in Communication Studies and a postgraduate qualification in Film Criticism, after which she became Assistant Managing Editor of OSRATI - a Kuwaiti weekly women's magazine.
After university, Bowles worked in New Orleans for a TV news station. She returned to the UK in the early 1990s but struggled to find work. Eventually she secured a position as a traffic reporter with LBC, on Richard Littlejohn's show. She subsequently joined the John Inverdale Nationwide programme on BBC Radio 5 Live where she remained for eight years before moving to BBC Radio 2.
From Saturday 9 June 2012, and for eight consecutive weeks, Bowles presented her own show on BBC Radio Wales, featuring guests such as Ken Bruce with whom she appears as travel reporter on his show on BBC Radio 2.
Personal and charitable activities
Bowles learnt to drive in a Land Rover and became a mascot for the marque after competing in the 2004 run of the Macmillan 4x4 UK Challenge and co-presenting the Heritage Motor Centre Land Rover show every year since 2005.
In the August 2013 issue of Land Rover Owner international magazine Bowles was a guest columnist 'for one month only' discussing her childhood experiences in Land Rovers and her time training for the Camel Trophy
She is an ambassador for Bobath Children's Therapy Centre Wales, a registered charity based in Cardiff that provides specialist Bobath therapy to children from all over Wales who have cerebral palsy. In the November 2007 Children in Need week a "Money can't buy" experience was auctioned which included spending a day with her at Land Rover and other automotive experiences under the banner of 'Petrolheads', and the item raised £22,000 for the charity.
- General Register Office Birth Index Quarter 4 1963 Cardiff
- "Lynn Bowles". BBC Radio 2. BBC. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- Whitfield, Lydia (15 June 2009). "Talking traffic with the 'Totty from Splotty'". South Wales Echo / The Free Library. Fairlex, Inc. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- "Lynn Bowles". JLA. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- "BBC Radio Wales - Lynn Bowles - Episode guide". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-07-04.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "WHAT'S IN THE AUGUST 2013 ISSUE OF LRO | LRO.com UK". Lro.com. Retrieved 2014-07-04.
- "Radio 2 - Children in Need 2007 - Wogan's Auction". BBC. Retrieved 2014-07-04.