Lyon Gardiner Tyler
|Lyon Gardiner Tyler|
|Tyler circa 1915|
|17th President of the
College of William & Mary
|Preceded by||Benjamin Stoddert Ewell|
|Succeeded by||J. A. C. Chandler|
August 24, 1853|
Charles City County, Virginia
|Died||February 12, 1935
He graduated in 1875 at the University of Virginia. From 1888 to 1919, he served as the 17th president of the College of William and Mary (W&M), and is widely credited for restoring the college's financial condition following the deterioration which took place in the wake of the American Civil War.
Tyler was married twice, first to Anne Baker Tucker, with whom he had three children: John Tyler; Elizabeth Gilmour Tyler; and Julia Gardiner Tyler Wilson, one of the Kappa Delta founders.
Following Anne's death in 1921, he married the former Sue Ruffin, with whom he had three children: Lyon Gardiner Tyler, Jr. (born 1924); Harrison Ruffin Tyler (born 1928); and Henry Tyler, who died in infancy. As of 2015, both surviving sons from Sue are still alive, making their grandfather the earliest former President of the United States with living grandchildren.
- "Lyon Gardiner Tyler (1853–1935)". Encyclopedia Virginia. Retrieved 2011-04-18.
Born on August 24, 1853, Lyon Gardiner Tyler was the thirteenth of his father's fifteen children, the last seven of whom were born after the president left office. He was the fifth child by President Tyler and his second wife, Julia Gardiner, a prominent New York socialite. After his father left office in 1845, the Tylers lived at Sherwood Forest Plantation in Charles City County until Lyon was eight years old, when his father's death in January 1862 and the onslaught of the American Civil War (1861–1865) prompted the family to move north, to the maternal family enclave in Staten Island ...
- "Dr. Lyon Tyler, 82, Dead in Richmond. Former Head of William and Mary". New York Times. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- "Tyler Family Papers, Group B". Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary. Retrieved 22 January 2011.
- "Office of the President. Lyon Gardiner Tyler". Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary. Retrieved 22 January 2011.
- Lyon Gardiner Tyler, Jr. from Franklin Lions Club
- Sherwood Forest Plantation - Home of President John Tyler at www.sherwoodforest.org
- Media related to Lyon Gardiner Tyler at Wikimedia Commons
- Works written by or about Lyon Gardiner Tyler at Wikisource
- Works by Lyon Gardiner Tyler at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Lyon Gardiner Tyler at Internet Archive
- Russell Smith's Lyon G. Tyler and the Quest for a Dissertation
- Lyon G. Tyler Department of History at the College of William and Mary
- Finding aid for the Office of the President. Lyon Gardiner Tyler Records
- Finding aid for the Tyler Family Papers, Group B
- Lyon Gardiner Tyler at Find a Grave