||An automated process has detected links on this page on the local or global blacklist.|
Screenshot of the main page
|Type of site||Internet lyrics database|
|Available language(s)||Multilingual (13 active Main Page translations)|
|Created by||Sean Colombo|
|Alexa rank||7,919,632 (December 2013[update])|
LyricWiki is an online Lyrics database. In March 2013, it was the seventh largest MediaWiki installation with over 2,800,000 content pages. Users on the site can view, edit, and discuss the lyrics of songs, which are also available for purchase from links on the site. The site is searchable by song, artist, album, genre, hometown, label, and language. Users are told to be mindful of copyright while contributing, and copyright violations are removed upon request.
The site was released in April 2006 by Sean Colombo while a student at RIT and soon after won the DreamHost Site of the Month award for April 2006 which helped jump-start its growth since winners of the contest are announced in DreamHost's monthly newsletter which claims to have over 50,000 subscribers.
Motive Force LLC, the parent company of LyricWiki, was the target of a lawsuit brought forth against it by the National Music Publishers Association. As a result the site has migrated to Wikia, which has a blanket licensing arrangement with Gracenote to provide lyrics, and blocked access to full lyrics via API.
The site allows programmatic access to the contents of its database through a web API. Following a 2009 agreement with licensors, queried lyrics may be displayed partially with a link to their respective web page. This API has been leveraged to create plugins for many media players including Winamp, Amarok, Windows Media Player, iTunes, musikCube, foobar2000, ITunes via Mac OS X Dashboard,  and more. LyricWiki has also released a Facebook application called "LyricWiki Challenge" which is a social, competitive game based on identifying lyrics from popular songs in several genres.
- "Lyricwiki.org Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- Woods, Dan; Thoeny, Peter (2007). Wikis for Dummies. John Wiley & Sons. p. 76. ISBN 0-470-04399-7. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- "List of largest wikis". Meta-wiki. Wikimedia. 2013-03-01. Unknown parameter
- "Statistics - Lyric Wiki". Retrieved 2013-03-11.
- "Lyric Wiki Review". Webuser. Retrieved 2009-05-04.[dead link]
- Boguschewski, Frank (2006). Websites aktuell (in German). c't. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "LyricWiki:Copyrights". LyricWiki. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "DreamHost Site of the Month". DreamHost. Retrieved 2009-05-07.
- "LyricWiki API Developrs". Google Groups. Retrieved 2013-03-11.
- "LyricWiki API Profile". programmableweb.com. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- "LyricWiki API".
- "LyricWiki" (in French). luminescence-software.org. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- "Amarok LyricWiki.org Lyrics". KDE-Apps.org. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- "ilyrics". Google Code. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- "Harmonic". mindquirk. Retrieved 2009-07-11.
- "LyricWiki Plugins". LyricWiki. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- "LyricWiki Challenge | Facebook". Facebook. Retrieved 2009-05-04.