|• Total||95.64 km2 (36.93 sq mi)|
|Elevation||217 m (712 ft)|
|• Density||1,091/km2 (2,830/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Postal code||93100 — 93199|
|Area code(s)||+380 6451|
Lysychansk (Ukrainian: Лисичанськ) is a city in the Luhansk Oblast (region) of south-eastern Ukraine. The city is designated as its own separate raion (district) within the oblast, and is located on the high right bank of the Seversky Donets River, approximately 90 km from the oblast capital, Luhansk.
Population on January 1, 2013 - 104,314 (Municipality - 120,085) (2013)
Area — - 95.64 km ² (municipality - 115.25 km ²) (2010).
In 1952, Lysychansk became the regional center. The present borders of Lysychansk were finalized by the mid-1960.
- In 1962 the city of Sieverodonetsk separated from Lysychansk and became its own independent city.
- In 1963 towns of Novodruzhesk and Pryvillia were included in the city limits of Lysychansk and became cities.
- In 1965 Lysychansk incorporated the cities of Verkhnye and Proletarsk.
Now, the administration of the Lysychansk Municipality includes cities:
Together with the cities of Sieverodonetsk, Rubizhne, Kreminna and the nearest towns, the Lysychasnk area constitutes a major urban and industrialized hub of the Donets basin area, with a population of about 353,000 (2009).
Lysychansk is located in the North-Western part of the Luhansk region, 90 km from Luhansk, on the high right bank of the Seversky Donets River. The area is surrounded by large hills, ravines and valleys. The city is interestingly situated on the northern spur of the Donetsk Ridge (Донецький кряж). This picturesque area was once called "Deer Mountain".
Lysychansk is located in the continental climate of the steppe zone of Ukraine. Water resources stemming from here are one of the most important resources. Sever Donets is the main water artery of the Lysychansk and the whole region. The length of the Sever Donets River within the city is 26.5 km. Belenkaya River, a tributary of the Donets River, flows through the southern part of the city, the length of the river within the city is 7.7 km.
The History of the Donetsk coal basin began in 1700 with the decree by Peter I to search for ore deposits, leading to the development of Lysychansk - "the cradle of Donbas (Донбас)". This type of coal mining lead to "pit heaps"- piles of rocks on the surface in the shape of large pyramids.
The territory of Lysychansk, like other lands in the area, since the Mongol-Tatar invasion until Mid 18th century had not been settled. On the left bank of the Seversky Donets River were the river towns of Borovsky, Trehizbensky and others, settled by educated runaway peasants of 18th century. These communities were suppressed and destroyed during the Bulavin Uprising started by the decree of Peter I. They reappeared only after two or three decades. Not destroyed, but moved to other areas (see map Boplana 1825), was Voronovo (Вороново) (founded by Khokhlova Coassacks), Syrotyne (Сиротино) (Popov and Sirotina Cossacks), Borovenki (Боровеньки) (partly settled by Borovschan after the burning of the settlement Bohr), Metelkina (Метелкино) (Metelnikova Cossacks) and Smolyaninovo (Смоляниново) (Smolkina Cossacks).
- As of 01.04.2010 the population of Lyscychansk was 104,314. The total population of the surrounding area governed by the city council is 120,085 people. (2013) 
- According to the 2001 Census the population was 115,229 people, total area governed by the city council was 133,258 people.
- According to the 1989 census the population was 127,000 people.
When Lysychansk was a city in the Soviet Union it was among the biggest industrial centres in Luhansk Oblast. It kept this status long after Ukraine turned independent in 1991. But since 2010 most major plants have been closed leading to massive lay-offs.
The city and the surrounding area has 5 coal mines owned by Lysychanskvuhillya. Production of coal reserves amount to 179.7 million tons. Production capacity - 2,8 million tons of coal per year.
Companies that are:
- Lysychansk Factory Technical Textiles
- Lysychansk Plant Gelatin
- Lysychansk Plant Engineering Works Brewery
- Lysychansk Plant Reinforced Concrete
- Lysychansk Factory Christmas Tree Decorations
- Lysychansk Factory Garment
Companies that are under construction:
- Lysychansk Plant Refinery
- Lysychansk Plant Soda → Lysychansk Plant Cement
- Lysychansk Plant Glassworks
- Lysychansk Plant Rubber Products
- Lysychansk Plant Meat
- Lysychansk Plant Bakery
- Lysychansk Plant Dairy
- Lysychansk Plant Rare Gases
- Lysychansk Heat Elektrotsentral
- Lysychansk Plant Tire-Repair
- Lysychansk Farm Poultry
Shopping centers and supermarkets
- Shopping centers:
"Кристалл", "Донбасс", "Лемон", "Октал", "Морозко плаза".
"Сільпо", "Абсолют", "АТБ", "Парус", "Брусниця".
- Electronics Stores:
"Фокстрот", "Comfy", "Diawest"
- The newspaper "New Way"
- Television and Radio Company "Accent"
- TV and Radio * "LIK-TV"
- Publishing house "Rush Hour"
- Mountain College
- Lysychansk Taras Shevchenko Pedagogical College
- Medical College
- Petrochemical College
- Branch Rubezhansk Chemical Engineering College
- Branch Constantine Industrial Technical
- 29 secondary schools
- Children's Musical School № 1
- Children's Musical School № 2
- Lysychansk Multidisciplinary Gymnasium
- Lysychansk Lyceum
- Fox Beam - "the cradle of Donbas."
- Pereezdnyanskaya Church.
- National History Museum and the Polovtsian stone images (center, Lenin).
- Monument to the first mine in the Donbas Region.
- Monument Rudoznattsu Gregory Kapustin (the central market).
- Monument to Marshal of the Soviet Union Kliment Voroshilov (District Pereizna).
- House-Museum of Marshal of the Soviet Union Kliment Voroshilov (St.Pereezdnaya, the former switch tower) - destroyed.
- T34 Tank - a monument to the defenders and liberators of Lysychansk (Lenin).
- Monument Lysychanam - pilots of the WWII (District RTI, on a former airfield).
- WWII Memorial «Привольнянский плацдарм»
- "Chernobyl" Monument
- Monument to the Soviet Poet Vladimir Nikolaevich Sosyury (Glass District, Square at DC).
- Palace of Culture. Vladimir Nikolaevich Sosyury with a mosaic mural on the theme "Power to the Soviets" and "Astronaut" (Glass-district).
- Claw lake and Recreation area
- City Park "Water Station"
- Gresovsky Recreation Park: in the woods on the left bank of the Seversky Donets River opposite of the Mount of Kirov. The park is now under repair. Between 1940 - 1960 the recreation park of the city, "Lissoda" and Power Plant was full of attractions and a great stadium for sporting events.
- Конгрессов Яр (Гельмерсенов Яр) - Geological Monument. Long, curved ravine with steep slopes at the end Sverdlova street, which stretches to the railway station Pereizna. On the surface you can see Paleozoic-Mesozoic geological formations. In the 1860s geological expeditions of Academician Gregory Helmersen were carried out, the ravine is now named for him. In the postwar years in the Donbas geological studies were conducted by the World Geological Congress, whose members visited Lysychansk and Gelmersenov Yar.,.
In the city there are two governmental trolley routes - № 1 and № 3, № 2 route is currently closed. ((Main | Lysychansk trolley))
A large number of buses run to and from Lysychansk as well as within the city. Most of the buses running in and out of the city stop running after 6 pm.
Railway Station Lysychansk
From the city centre the railway station can be reached by foot, down Malinowski Street, starting from the Central Market (15-20 minute walk) or by bus "Lysychansk - Severodonetsk."
The town has three railway stations: Nasvetevich, Pereizna, Volcheyarskaya, as well as 956th km (stop is for diesel commuter trains). Almost all transit distance trains stop at Stations Pereizna and Volcheyarskaya, allowing residents of Southern Lysychansk not to be dependent on the central railway station.
Trains running through Lysychansk allow access to all of Ukraine as well as run to Russia and Belarus.
Regular bus service is available to many Ukrainian cities. There are direct buses to Donetsk, Kharkiv, Berdyansk, Meriupol, etc.
The nearest airport is located 12 kilometers from the city center, located in Sieverodonetsk. Built in 1968 the airport is to serve residents and workers of the surrounding cities. The airport is administered by the Lysychansk District pipeline OAO Ukrtransnafta.
- Gregory Kapustin- Russian rudoznatets.
- Kliment Voroshilov - Marshal of the Soviet Union, Hero of the Soviet Union, the Politburo Central Committee, President of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR | Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR.
- Volodymyr Sosyura - Ukrainian Soviet poet.
- Peter Severs- Ukrainian writer.
- Dmitry Lalenkov - Honored actor theater and film.
- Kuzema Vadim - author and performer of songs in the style of Russian chanson, nominee of the prize "Chanson, in 2006".
- Igor Sergeyev - Ministry of Defense of Russia | Russian Defense Minister from 1997–2001, Marshal of the Russian Federation.
- Nicholas Chuzhikov - Olympic rowing champion.
- 1989 - 127,000 inhabitants
- 2001 - 115,000 inhabitants
- 2010 - 105,200 inhabitants
Next to the SBU building.
- РЕГІОНИ УКРАЇНИ ТА ЇХ СКЛАД
- Державний комітет статистики України. Всеукраїнський перепис населення `2001. Чисельність наявного населення та його розподіл за статтю, Луганська область, м. Лисичанськ(міськрада)
- Дністрянський М. С. Етнополітична географія України. Львів: Літопис, 2006. С.464.
- Численность и состав населения Украины по итогам Всеукраинской переписи населения 2001 года
- The Looming Revolt in Lysychansk, The Ukrainian Week (22 July 2013)
- Донецкая складчатая область
- История Луганского края. Глава 3. Луганщина в XIX веке. Геологические исследования края
- Аэропорты Украины — Авиакассы, заказ и продажа авиабилетов, туры и шоп туры — Тур фирма Авиатор — Донецк Киев
- (Капустин, Григорий Григорьевич)
- (Ворошилов, Климент Ефремович)
- (Сосюра, Владимир Николаевич)
- (Кузема Вадим)
- (Игорь Сергеев)
- (Russian) City portal
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lysychansk.|