|Finnish lake region|
|• Municipal manager||Jussi Teittinen|
|• Total||1,210.99 km2 (467.57 sq mi)|
|• Land||981.76 km2 (379.06 sq mi)|
|• Water||229.23 km2 (88.51 sq mi)|
|Area rank||95th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||158th largest in Finland|
|• Density||6.54/km2 (16.9/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.6% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||13.6%|
|• 15 to 64||60.6%|
|• 65 or older||25.7%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||19%|
It is located in the province of Eastern Finland and is part of the Southern Savonia region. The municipality has a population of 6,418 (31 August 2013) and covers an area of 1,210.99 square kilometres (467.57 sq mi) of which 229.23 km2 (88.51 sq mi) is water. The coastline is almost 1,520 kilometers (940 mi). The population density is 6.2 inhabitants per km².
The summer houses or cottages located in the countryside are part of the culture of Finland where most Finnish families spend their summer holidays. Mäntyharju is the municipality which has the fifth most summer houses in Finland. Some of the reasons for Mäntyharju's popularity involves its many pure lakes and a relatively short distance to Helsinki. Because of the many summer houses, population of Mäntyharju more than doubles during the most popular summer holiday times.
Art Centre Salmela in Mäntyharju hosts one of Finland’s largest cultural events in July-August.
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
- Edward Vesala (1945-1999), Finnish avant-garde jazz composer, bandleader and drummer.
- Antti Jaatinen (b. 1987), ice hockey player
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 31.8.2013" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Statistics Finland
Media related to Mäntyharju at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Mäntyharju – Official site
|This Eastern Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|