|Mårten Gustaf Mickos|
Mårten G Mickos
|Occupation||CEO at Eucalyptus Systems
Board of Directors Member at Electrosonic, RightScale and Mozilla Messaging
Former Entrepreneur In Residence at Benchmark Capital & Index Ventures
Mårten Gustaf Mickos (born November 6, 1962 in Espoo, Finland) was chief executive officer (CEO) of MySQL AB. He served as chief executive officer from January 2001 to February 2008, when Sun Microsystems bought MySQL Inc and MySQL AB. He served as senior vice president of the database group at Sun Microsystems until March 2009. In February 2008 he was announced as member of the board of Mozilla Messaging; in May 2009, he also joined the board of directors at RightScale. In September 2009 venture capital firm Benchmark Capital hired Mickos as their Entrepreneur In Residence. In 2009, Marten participated as an expert witness for the European Commission when they were looking at the Oracle-MySQL merger through antitrust perspectives.  In March 2010, Mårten was named CEO of Eucalyptus Systems, the company behind the Eucalyptus software for cloud computing on computer clusters.  He is a member in the board of directors for Nokia the telecommunication company based in Nokia Finland.
Mårten also was a co-founder and CEO of MatchON Sports Ltd. Previously, he was CEO of Sonera subsidiary Intellitel Communications Inc, and has held sales and marketing positions at Solid Information Technology Ltd and other software companies. Marten Mickos is also an angel investor in Enterprise 2.0 start-up Tradeshift.
Awards & Recognition
In Chinese, Mårten uses the name 马腾.米克思.
- . "With Demand Growing, MySQL CEO calls it quits".
- "Former MySQL CEO Mårten Mickos Joins RightScale Board of Directors".
- "Former MySQL CEO Marten Mickos Joins Benchmark As Entrepreneur In Residence". TechCrunch.
- "I was CEO of MySQL, am CEO of Eucalyptus".
- "Marten Mickos Named CEO of Eucalyptus Systems".
- . "Press release: New CEO at MySQL AB". MySQL AB.
- . "Tradeshift signs new angels". Techcrunch.
- "Press Release: MySQL Wins Audemars Piguet "Changing Times Award"".
- "Press release: Nokia Foundation Award to Mårten Mickos". Nokia.
- Mårten Mickos on Twitter
- Mårten Mickos' Blog
- Open for business: Building successful commerce around open source - Mårten Mickos' talk at the PARC Forum.
- Mårten Mickos on effective teams (Slides, Video)
- Video: Mårten Mickos, ex-CEO of MySQL on Oracle, Open Source Startups & Lessons of MySQL
- Video: Shoot for the stars! - Mårten talks about the role of failure and long-term perspective at the Aalto Entrepreneurship Society
- Video: Entrepreneurial talk at Stanford: Believe in something bigger than yourself
In the media
- Keynote by Mårten Mickos at O'Reilly MySQL CE 2011, "Data in the Cloud" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llO_EFQk3dM
- "Making it in America’ (by the Finn who sold MySQL for a billion dollars)": http://thenextweb.com/entrepreneur/2011/03/23/making-it-in-america-by-the-fin-who-sold-mysql-for-a-billion-dollars/
- Interview with Mårten Mickos in BizDeans Talk - "Entrepreneur and ex-CEO of MySQL": http://www.deanstalk.net/deanstalk/2009/11/interview-with-marten-mickos-entrepreneur-and-exceo-of-mysql.html
- Interview with Mårten Mickos in Forbes Magazine - "Why Oracle Won't Kill MySQL": http://archive.is/20130123095359/http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/20/mysql-marten-mickos-technology-enterprise-tech-mysql.html
- Interview with MySQL CEO by Guy Kawasaki: http://blog.guykawasaki.com/2006/08/ten_questions_w_2.html
- Interview with MySQL CEO on Slashdot: http://interviews.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/20/1325244&from=rss
- Mårten Mickos IT decision maker of the year in Finland in 2006: http://www.tietoviikko.fi/doc.te?f_id=1067666
- Mårten Mickos ranked no. 9 among IT decision makers in Sweden in 2006: http://www.nyteknik.se/art/47124
- Mozilla Messaging Board of Directors: http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/about/board/