|Elevation||1,981 m (6,499 ft)|
|Length||40 km (25 mi)|
|State||Styria and Lower Austria|
|Parent range||Northern Limestone Alps|
The Mürzsteg Alps or Mürztal Alps (German: Mürztaler or Mürzsteger Alpen are a mountain range in the Eastern Alps (Northern Limestone Alps), which lie in the Austrian state of Styria with small elements in Lower Austria. Their highest peak is the Hohe Veitsch ( ) in the centre of the group, whose largest massif is however the Schneealpe ( ) in the northwest near the Rax.
The following ranges border on the Mürzsteg Alps: to the north the Türnitz Alps, to the northeast the Gutenstein Alps, to the east the Rax-Schneeberg Group, to the southeast the Prealps east of the Mur (specifically the Fischbach Alps) and to the west the Hochschwab.
The range is part of the Styrian-Lower Austrian Limestone Alps and is separated from its neighbouring massifs by the valley of the Mürz (= part of the tectonically active Mur-Mürz Furrow), the upper reaches of the Mürz (main settlement: Mürzsteg) and the road over the Styrian Seeberg Pass. It is described by geologists as a ridge-and-basin facies (Schwellen- und Becken-Fazies).
The majority of its rocks are date to the Triassic (Hallstatt Facies) with Wetterstein Dolomite, Hallstatt Limestone and Mürztal strata (dark, hornstein-dominated limestones and marls with foraminifers, brachiopods and other fossils), whilst the Hochschwab to the west (up to ) also has Corallian Limestone.
The south of the range with a strips up to 10 km wide belongs to the greywacke zone (rocks from the New Palaeozoic and the Lower Triassic).
- Graf-Meran House (ÖTK, , on the highlands of the Hohe Veitsch)
- Schneealpen House (ÖAV, , on the Schauerkogel/Schneealpe)
- Hinteralm House (ÖAV, , north of the Schneealpe)
- Kutatsch Hut ( , open shelter belonging to the ÖAV on the Schneealpe)
- Lurgbauer Hut (private, , on the upper slopes of the Schneealpe)
- Michlbauer Hut (private, , on the upper slopes Schneealpe)
- Tonion Hut (Friends of Nature, , on the Tonion)
- Kaarl Hut (private, Mürzzuschlag) , west of