March 2, 1980 |
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||202 lb (92 kg; 14 st 6 lb)|
|Alba Volán Székesfehérvár
Diables Rouges de Briançon
Márton Vas (born March 2, 1980 in Dunaújváros, Hungary) is a Hungarian international ice hockey right wing, who is currently under contract with EBEL side Alba Volán Székesfehérvár. As of 30 April 2011, he has played for the Hungarian national team 127 times. His brother, János Vas is also a professional ice hockey player and member of the Hungarian national team.
Vas, who is Jewish, made his senior debut at the age of 15 for his hometown club Dunaferr SE and a year later already celebrated his first Hungarian championship success. The forward got a chance to try himself in the overseas in 1997. First he moved to the United States to play for Flagstaff Mountaineers in the Western States Hockey League, where he won the title right in his first year. Vas started the next season by Canadian club Hawkesbury Hawks, with them he again went triumphant, winning the Central Canada Hockey League, however, failed to progress to the national final after finishing only second in the Fred Page Cup.
Vas spent another year in Canada before moved back to his native Hungary to play for his former club Dunaferr. He spent six years in Hungary, interrupted by two short spells in Swedish lower league clubs Vänersborgs HC and Grums IK. In 2006 he moved abroad again and joined previous year's French Cup winners Diables Rouges de Briançon, where he played together with fellow Hungarians Balázs Ladányi and Viktor Szélig. While in France, Vas did not manage to win any trophy, however, he finished runner-up two times in the Ligue Magnus and the Coupe de la Ligue. Briancon, to cut their expenditures, let the forward go in the summer of 2009, and Vas joined Alba Volán Székesfehérvár.
Austrian Hockey League
- (English) Career profile on www.eurohockey.net
- "National team players". Hungarian Ice Hockey Federation. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- "Professional Hockey Review: 2010–11; European Hockey League". Jewish Sports Review 8 (87): 8–9. September/October 2011, accessed September 15, 2011. Check date values in:
- "Korábbi Acélbikák – Vas Márton" (in Hungarian). DAB Dunaújváros official website. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- Pincési, László (19 May 2007). "Igazi magyar hokicsapat lesz a Briancon" [Briancon will be a real Hungarian ice hockey team]. Hungarian Press Agency (in Hungarian). Origo.hu. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- "Válogatott csatársorral erősít a Volán" [Volán strengthens with national team forward line]. Hungarian Press Agency (in Hungarian). Origo.hu. 10 June 2009. Retrieved 14 October 2011.